Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,545   Posts: 1,572,842   Online: 1023

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I, too, have nothing but good things to say about KEH. They're like an old-fashioned camera store, in that they treat you like you'll be a valued long-time customer. My BGN Summicron was shockingly handsome. My Pentax 6x7 stuff likewise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have had nothing but great luck with KEH for more than 10 years including a few UG lenses that were really quite nice. BGN ones that we better than most "MINT-" ones i see on ebay. I've only bought a couple of bodies from them, one a Nikon N60 years ago, a Contax RTSII a few months ago, and another a Leica IIIa bought quite recently. All were perfect. With the 7-day no-questions-asked return policy and a 60-day warranty you got little to lose. IMO, unless I can get something off eBay for at least 30% less than KEH I go KEH every time.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I consider KEH as an honest business. That said, they do make mistakes every now and then and I had a few instances where it took a while to get it right. But, all through the process, they were courteous, understanding, and in the end, things were righted. One time, I was treated rather curtly over the phone but it was just one incident. Perhaps that particular rep was having a bad day.

Buying used anything, having a reliable business on the other end is worth more than a little saving for me. Like anything, opinion varies all over the place depending on individual experiences. I continue to buy from KEH.

Concerning ratings, it range from conservative to about-right depending on the piece. Would they deal on prices? Probably not but never hurt to ask. All they can say is no.
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only qualification I would put on my recommendation for KEH is that the 7-day (EDIT - actually 14 days!) no-questions-asked return policy isn't meaningful for those of us outside the USA - the 7 days (EDIT - actually 14 days!) starts from date of invoice. So as long as I don't approach KEH as a "try before I buy" source, I'm completely happy.
    Last edited by MattKing; 04-03-2012 at 12:47 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: correction
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Matt... Email before you buy. My guess is they'll cut you some slack on return time.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'd take KEH over eBay any day. I have several Nikon cameras and lenses bought from KEH which I consider to have been very good buys. When I did get a lens for my Bronica SQ-A with a defective shutter (didn't check it, ended up with half a roll of blanks!), they gave me no hassle and even held another one for me until the return reached them. This was right on the 7-day return limit, but as it was defective (everything BGN or better is guaranteed functional for 6(?) months now) it probably didn't matter.

Nice people. You won't get the best price selling to them, but their gear is fairly priced and as others have said, conservatively rated.

I have a very nice FM2n I got for $42 out of their as-is bin. Small amount of corrosion where the rubber eye piece used to be, but otherwise works great.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've probably bought 20 things from KEH and all but one were as described or ,more often, better than described. The one time I did end up returning it because it actually was what their "bargain" grading describes. I was used to so much better!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You really can't lose buying from KEH

Every thing I have bought has been "Better than Expected " Even UG, BGN and AS-IS My best buys have been, a AS-IS Nikon FE Black for $13.00 !!!! Just needed new Foam and Battery's and it is Like New (less than a roll of film and proccessing), I also bought a UG bronica ETRS 50mm lens....Nothing wrong with it -> looks almost new and was only $33.00

If I buy cameras on Ebay I make sure the seller has 100% feed back and has been a member for 5 or more years, stay away from High priced BUY NOW...Make a Offer...... You can bet they are Dreaming !!!

I would just Buy from KEH, Even with the Shipping $$$ to AUSTRALIA I still end up in front.

Best of luck

Johnkpap

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    You're better off buying from eBay, Adorama, or B&H than KEH. Both Adorama and B&H have professionals who monitor this site and photo.net and try and work out any problem, even if it happened weeks ago. Ebay now has a 100% buyer satisfaction policy that guarantees your purchase price plus shipping back. KEH doesn't fully test their items and as such, you'll go to use some feature and it won't work. Happened to me many times. I'd much rather buy from an individual that knows his gear than the KEH appearance-graded items.
    Conversely, my only experience with Adorama has been buying a lens that was mislabelled on their site (as a far cheaper, inferior version), and it required almost the full warranty month for them to "figure out what had happened". KEH has always come through on returns, if you can demonstrate that it was their mistake they will even cover shipping. Their new warranty coverage is only the icing on this cake.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another good point about KEH vs ebay is that KEH's prices are right on what similar items on ebay are going for. ebay may sometimes be lower but I've also seen items sell for higher than what KEH is selling them for. But the best part with KEH is that there is no risk. Pricing is the number one reason I buy from KEH, very reasonable pricing. Adorama's prices are very similar, but I had a bad experience with them and have heard horror stories from others. B&H is great for new items and I should own stock in them for all I buy from them but their used prices are too high.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin