Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,847   Posts: 1,582,776   Online: 850

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've bought quite a few things from KEH, and returned a couple for various reasons. Excellent company to deal with.

Every transaction was smooth and professional. Refunds are prompt, usually the day they receive the item.

I haven't bought anything on the bay since they implemented the paypill requirement, and never will as long as that's in force.

Definitely go with KEH.

To answer the OP's original questions:
    1. Doubtful. They offer complete camera 'outfits', which include lenses. I doubt they would make up a special outfit, but doesn't hurt to ask.
    2. Their grading is quite conservative. I've always bought EXC or better, and the items all look virtually brand new.

BTW, the no-questions-asked refund policy period is 14 days, not 7.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    keh kicks butt...true datt!!
    best, Peter
    website down for maintenance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post

BTW, the no-questions-asked refund policy period is 14 days, not 7.

- Leigh
    You are right - I've inserted a correction into my earlier post.

Thanks
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I bought my first film camera (Bronica ETRSi and lens) in about 25 years from KEH in December. I bought from them because of the reputation for accurate equipment grades. I live in South Africa so the cost of returning an item that I was not happy with would probably be more the the item was worth. I bought EX grade for the same reason.

The sales representative I dealt with (Sean McCreery) was very helpful with my request (payment by international credit card - from Africa no less - but shipped to an address in the USA that did not match the billing address of the credit card). The goods were shipped in good time and were excellently packed in individually sealed plastic bags (which should minimise the possbility of deterioration while in the warehouse). All items were as described and in at least as good condition as advertised - I actually think the 40mm lens I bought would probably have been rated "Like New" anywehere else.

They're not the cheapest but if you value a hassle free buying experience then, in my opinion, they are a great choice. I will certainly buy from them again.

Andrew
    Last edited by andrew.roos; 04-03-2012 at 06:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    I've bought from KEH and eBay many times. I've had all good experiences for the most part. I do not hesitate to deal with KEH, I'm selective when dealing with eBay. Knight Camera, Shutterblade seem to be reliable, professional re-sellers. Have been impressed with Unicphoto offerings, but they are a bit pricier, have very good feedback. Have also bought from private individuals with good results, but consider this a bit riskier.

I recently bought a very nice-looking FE2 from KEH via the auction site. It was stated in the description that the camera was actually the one in the multiple photos. It was stated that this was a very nice, BGN grade body. When I received the camera, it was not the same one as the photos. Had substantially more brassing, but everything else seemed in good shape. I contacted KEH, and received an email back stating that when being examined just before shipping, some substantial defects were found in the offered camera. They selected the best looking, BGN grade camera they had in stock to ship. While I was somewhat disappointed and suspicious, I turned down their offer for a refund, and kept the camera, and decided to give them the benefit of the doubt based on all my previous positive dealings with them. I have found no deficiencies in the camera they sent.

I purchased a Yashica D from Knight Camera, but when I received it the shutter did not work. I ended up sending it in for a CLA. Had some difficulties getting a response from Knight Camera when I contacted them, but eventually made contact and they offered to reimburse me for half the cost of the CLA, which I was happy with.

I have also bought one used lens from Adorama. When I got it the zoom mechanism was not smooth, would "catch" in a certain range. I contacted Adorama, they refunded my money and paid for the return shipping, no further questions asked and apologized for the inconvenience. I wouldn't hesitate to deal with them again.

My position is that we are dealing with very old, used equipment. Sometimes things get by on an initial exam. As long as the seller stands behind their offerings, I am happy.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Another vote for KEH. I'm a customer since 1994.
    Parker Smith Photography, Inc.
    Atlanta, GA

Commercial & Fine Art Photography
    Portrait Photography

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I like KEH as well. I bought an RB67 Pro-S body from them and it came with new light seals and most everything in "As advertised" condition (EX). However, the body does have some minimal body-paint bubbling but so far that hasn't worsened nor detracted from the cameras performance. The "Premium" i paid for the EX condition was a bit higher than similarly advertised cameras on eBay, but i was absolutely assured i was getting what i paid for.

My most recent purchase with KEH was problematic. I bought a used Manfrotto ball-head and received a different (lesser/lower) model - though in EX condition. When i contacted KEH and informed them it took a couple days before i heard from them. I was pretty disturbed given my difficult shipping location, but to their credit, KEH refunded the difference between the price of the head i received and the one i paid for.

On lenses i've bought from KEH, i've been absolutely, 100% satisfied.

I must say that i've only had one bad eBay camera-related experience and on that singular Purchase the Seller made it right. I have had one other "suspicious" transaction on eBay (bought MS Office Pro 2007). The Seller didn't reply to communications, the shipment was s-l-o-w, and had alot of similar transactions (and a couple bad Feedbacks' - which i typically shun, but 99% Positive overall). I feared pirated software/scamming, but eventually (2 weeks...) the software arrived and all was well.

With eBay you simply buy from Sellers who only have 98% Positive feedback (and higher) for similar-priced transactions - otherwise, walk away!!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by brian steinberger View Post
    Another good point about KEH vs ebay is that KEH's prices are right on what similar items on ebay are going for. ebay may sometimes be lower but I've also seen items sell for higher than what KEH is selling them for. But the best part with KEH is that there is no risk. Pricing is the number one reason I buy from KEH, very reasonable pricing.
    I find that keh.com prices are consistently 150% - 200% of what equivalent items sell for on eBay. So far I haven't bought anything from them for that reason, although I find there site useful for price research. Keh prices might be more in line with what sellers are asking, but at least for stuff I look at the sky-high Buy It Now auctions don't sell. The ones that sell at open auction or BIN are always much lower.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by adelorenzo View Post
    I find that keh.com prices are consistently 150% - 200% of what equivalent items sell for on eBay. So far I haven't bought anything from them for that reason, although I find there site useful for price research. Keh prices might be more in line with what sellers are asking, but at least for stuff I look at the sky-high Buy It Now auctions don't sell. The ones that sell at open auction or BIN are always much lower.
    Nope. Not my experience at all over 10+ years.

i.e. bought a Leica IIIa body from KEH couple months ago for $190. Latest eBay auctions for similar condition ones: $175-$199 most with no warranty or return privilege.

Contax 180/2.8 Sonnar for Y/C SLR, from KEH for $325, eBay latest going for $356-468....I could go on.....
    Last edited by Richard Sintchak (rich815); 04-03-2012 at 11:09 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Speaking for myself, I would rather buy with the confidence of a reliable warranty then save a few bucks and gamble.

I have bought a good sized Canon outfit(FD lens mount) that I enjooy ussing.All fromKEH at various times.

When I use the equipment and look at the photos, I forget the cost of the equipment but enjoy the results. I DO NOT want the hassles of the unknow coming from who knows where and the non photographic work of sursing the computer to get in the best bid.

I just order, pay and use my equipment.

HowardDvorin

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin