Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,407   Online: 986

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Arthur

Call and talk to Arthur from KEH. He knows what is newly in stock and not on the website yet. I have had excellent transactions with KEH in several transactions ranging from several thousand dollars to just a few used filters. Wolfeye, I can say your experience is Waaay different from mine! KEH grades equipment, particularly lenses, conservatively. I've bought several BGN lenses that appeared EXC to me. And, to back this up, I sent 3 BGN Pentax lenses from KEH to Eric Hendricksen from Pentaxrepairs.com along with a Pentax K1000 (that I bought off this apug classified forum) and he pronounced these "BGN" lenses EXC as well with no need for CLA. BTW, Eric did a great job on the K1000 CLA!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi all,

With regards to the Minim$65.00 Shipping for International, What I do is, buy the EX item that you really, realy want , then keep adding small items
    that you may like, for example Ug and Bgn lenses or filters and other small value, being a trained Electronics Technician, is my advatage, I am getting quite
    good at fixing minor problems, therfore UG, BGN or even Better AS-IS are my sort of deal. The shipping will stay the same this does not happen with $BAY items,
    I have had a couple of bad deals lately with a camera ENGRAVED in 3 Places:- the seller was a good person and took it back with a full refund -: Photos can lie !!!
    and a Nikon Lens from the place starting with A..... Yes it was as described but someone had "Messed with it!!" damaged the grub screws :- it can't be cleaned.

So far KEH stuff has been first rate, always better than expected.

Adorama Bargins .......Well once bitten twice shy. There shipping charges are a also bit on the high side too....

KEH is abit low on UG and BGN lenses and cameras at the moment ....Hopefully they list more soon ....Please bring back AS-IS items and Grab Bags

Johnkpap

Shooter
    Multi Format
    KEH will occasionally accept a reasonable offer that is lower then an item's listed price.
    It doesn't cost anything to ask.

Shooter
    35mm
    To quote ads by a particular sporting goods company... "Just do it." My experience is a bit limited, but on advice from this and other forums I bought a Pentax AF SLR from KEH back in December. When my son decided he wanted a camera like mine, I didn't hesitate to order a lens and camera for him from KEH. Both purchases work very well, and I would definitely buy from them again.
    ME Super

Shoot more film.
    There are eight ways to put a slide into a projector tray. Seven of them are wrong.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm contemplating buying used equipment from KEH, but this will be my first ever experience with overseas shipping from USA; are there any gotchas? How likely is it for my beater of a camera to be held at customs, or picking up additional charges along the way?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Receiving an overseas shipment from KEH is usually without problems. KEH will put a customs declaration on the package that will indicate that the contents are "used photographic equipment" and the value of the equipment (KEH selling price).

Any customs duties and sales taxes will be determined by YOUR country's customs agency. You can contact that agency to find out the tariff for the equipment shipped. Sometimes the country of origin (country where manufactured) may affect the customs duties if your country has trade barriers in place.

In addition, the carrier (shipping company) will add charges for taking care of customs clearance and delivery. Contact the carrier for information. ALL charges, taxes and duties will be collected by the carrier when delivery is made.

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

I've already had a look at our import laws, it seems I'll just pay the VAT if I keep the purchase price under 150 EUR. I've heard that our customs guys like to add shipping price to this equation, even though they shouldn't; so I would go over 150 easily. Oh well, let's try.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Halka View Post
    Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

I've already had a look at our import laws, it seems I'll just pay the VAT if I keep the purchase price under 150 EUR. I've heard that our customs guys like to add shipping price to this equation, even though they shouldn't; so I would go over 150 easily. Oh well, let's try.
    In Canada, the customs officials are required to include the shipping cost when calculating the value for duty - that is the way our legislation is worded.

So it might be wise to check the wording of the applicable legislation where you are.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, I'd definitely check with your customs officials as red-tape changes rapidly, and it would be better to know before you get a nice bill for duty!! (Australia: under $1000 seems to be happily ignored. I ordered some parts for my classic car a few months back, and the US supplier split the order into 2 shipment - to keep it under $1000. Postage for the two was still less than any duty I may have been slugged with, so was happy to receive the shipments separately. )

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin