Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,735   Posts: 1,515,434   Online: 1125

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Buying from KEH question?

I've posted a couple of threads on the forum asking about buying. My search on Ebay has left many questions with specific items every time. So I was thinking about buying from KEH which I've seen nothing but good reviews. The thing is it would be far less than a crap shoot for pretty good priced items. I've bought a lot of things off Ebay but never cameras/lenses for hundreds of dollars.

Questions: 1. In the experience of those that have bought there....If you saw a camera body you wanted and a separately listed lens would they maybe give a little break on price if you bought them together? Is it worth asking?

2. I heard that they grade conservatively. Are the cameras they have for sale gone over by them to check functionality etc. (sorry if redundant).

I just didn't feel right about the couple of 645E set ups I saw on Ebay. Even if they offered a 7 day return policy (most did not) I may not have time to get a couple of rolls through a camera and developed in 7 days, so KEH seems like the safer bet seeing I don't buy equipment that often.

I have also heard that KEH has many more items than they can place online so I should maybe call if want something specific as it may not be on the website.

I wanted to get objective opinions, not the party line from them

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Call them (KEH). They're good people.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1. I seriously doubt it. KEH is a seller, not a haggler. If you want a price break, go with BGN or UG grade.
    2. Yes, they do grade quite conservatively. I've personally bought BGN equipment that I'd grade as EX, UG that I'd call BGN, etc. KEH does guarantee their gear to work and generally they do go over everything beforehand. However, they can't go over everything with a fine-toothed comb and sometimes you can get hold of something that looks okay but doesn't function as it is supposed to. I've had to return items because of that before, but they've always been great about it and paid for the shipping back and the shipping of a replacement. That said, they're about as perfect as one can expect a gear seller to be, at least in my experience.

Case in point: Last fall, just before going on a trip to St. Louis, I bought from them a BGN grade Minolta X-570 (35mm SLR), and an UG grade motor drive. The camera worked fine except that the frame indicator didn't advance on the camera; on the motor drive the shutter button worked but didn't advance the film. After my trip I called them, they set up a replacement order, and arranged for me to ship back the items for free. The replacements were shipped to me for free as soon as they received my package, and they were in perfect working order.

Shooter
    35mm
    You're better off buying from eBay, Adorama, or B&H than KEH. Both Adorama and B&H have professionals who monitor this site and photo.net and try and work out any problem, even if it happened weeks ago. Ebay now has a 100% buyer satisfaction policy that guarantees your purchase price plus shipping back. KEH doesn't fully test their items and as such, you'll go to use some feature and it won't work. Happened to me many times. I'd much rather buy from an individual that knows his gear than the KEH appearance-graded items.
    In life you only get one great dog, one great car, and one great woman. Pet the dog. Drive the car. Make love to the woman. Don't mix them up.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfeye View Post
    You're better off buying from eBay, Adorama, or B&H than KEH. Both Adorama and B&H have professionals who monitor this site and photo.net and try and work out any problem, even if it happened weeks ago. Ebay now has a 100% buyer satisfaction policy that guarantees your purchase price plus shipping back. KEH doesn't fully test their items and as such, you'll go to use some feature and it won't work. Happened to me many times. I'd much rather buy from an individual that knows his gear than the KEH appearance-graded items.
    I'd much rather buy from KEH, than ebay, Adorama and B&H, no matter what the price or condition. I've bought over $15,000 in equipment from KEH over the past 3 years, not once have I had an issue. I don't know why you are bashing KEH, they do test all of their used pieces and grade based on function AND appearance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FWIW... I bought a pricey Nikkor lens from KEH a couple years ago. It arrived the the faintest whisps of cleaning marks in the front coatings that were not in the description. These were not enough to affect image quality in any way but did affect lens value. They refused a partial refund but allowed a return with a complete refund of the purchase price. I was out the cost of shipping and, in retrospect, I might as well have kept the lens. The bottom line is they did back their product. In years past... many years past... I bought other items from them at competitive prices with no issues what-so-ever and customer service was great.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Blog Entries
    Images
    KEH is excellent. I buy from them all the time. I use ebay as well, but absolutely NOT for lenses. I've got burned one too many times trying to save a few bucks rather than just buy a used one from KEH. I have to strongly disagree with Wolfeye, all of their items are tested. Go for lenses in EX condition or better and cameras you can even get away with BGN condition and they will maybe not look the best, but will work fine. If a feature doesn't work, they will fix it. Their gear is warranted for 60 days and you can return it no questions asked within 14 days. Just buy from them, you will not regret it.
    Last edited by brian steinberger; 04-02-2012 at 11:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have good experince with KEH,

Jeff

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    KEH vs eBay is no contest - I've never got a lens with fungus from KEH. From time to time KEH will make mistakes, but they will also remedy the mistake. Despite buying lots of BGN equipment from them the only problems I have had is a couple of mislabelled items which they refunded without a quibble. From the sound of it you may be better off buying EX graded equipment which should be mechanically and optically (near) perfect and perhaps have a few very minor blemishes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've reapired way too many cameras bought from fleabay n can tell you they are mostly junk dealers, not professional sellers like KEH.

KEH equipment is generally better than it's ratings and if you think it is not they will exchange it no questions asked. KEH also has a great return policy without any arguments as you would definately get from Adoroma n B&H, seen too many bad experiances with those guys.

B&H is a great place to shop for new stuff but their used equipment seems more like referbished garbage finds.

Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin