Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,916   Posts: 1,584,715   Online: 844

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Mamiya M645 what tells the camera what insert you have in?

I know this is probably a stupid question

I think there are some kind of tabs on the inserts that tell the camera if you have a
    120 or a 220 insert in it.

Just thought I would ask anyway. Not finding much searching.

Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You are mostly correct.

For those cameras that do not use interchangeable backs, it is the camera that senses the difference between the inserts and adjusts the counter accordingly.

For those cameras that do use interchangeable backs, it is the interchangeable back that senses the difference between the inserts and adjusts the counter accordingly.

In both cases, the only thing the photographer needs to do is remember what film they have in them.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Matt
    This camera is an old manual focus M645. It has inserts only. No removable backs on this one.

I think I found it. There is a small plastic triangular piece on the 220 insert and the 120 does not have it.

The triangular piece is held on by two screws. That's the only difference I can see visually.

It must push something on the camera, setting the the counter for 220.

Shooter
    127 Format
    One thing I like about M645 inserts is the flip tabs that make it so easy to change film.

Funny, I never look at the frame counter. I just keep going until the film runs out and put in the next one.

If I did forget what film was in there it wouldn't bother me. I like surprises.
    Last edited by wblynch; 04-03-2012 at 04:17 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: too many smilies
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Medium Format
    i took that little plastic thing off my 220 insert and it took nice focused pictures with the 645J, i have yet to compare it to my recently purchased 120 insert that came with my 645 1000s though. if you dont remove it you will shoot blanks after 16.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for that reply Alexis M

That is exactly what I needed to know.

I was thinking of making a 220 style 120 film.
    If you cut the paper right behind the leader and then tape on a trailer.
    That way you wouldn't have to worry about the paper backing problem.
    I know it's a major pain but then using a 220 back wouldn't be a problem.

You have to be really careful when shooting blanks

If your shutter fires on that last little bit of folded trailer paper it will be destroyed !!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well I guess since they aren't going to produce 220 anymore I'll just have to chuck my inserts.

I really don't like using 120 with it's old fashioned paper backing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cinejerk View Post
    Well I guess since they aren't going to produce 220 anymore I'll just have to chuck my inserts.

I really don't like using 120 with it's old fashioned paper backing.
    In the US you can still get some kodak C41 stock in 220.
    I just checked the recent Portra 400 price increase and got sticker shock on a propack of Portra 220.
    Yikes, although I realize we still are lucky, price wise compared to many other places.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello;
    The only difference between the 120 and 220 inserts is the plastic wedge on the 220 insert. This is easily removed by two screws turning it into a 120 insert. The plastic wedge is a interlock to allow the counter to go to 30 frames. Last time I checked Fuji sells color film in 220. Hope this helps, Steven.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Steven

Yep, I now know about the little plastic wedge.
    But I thought there was a difference in the film pressure plate
    to make up the difference of the paper backing thickness?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin