Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,531   Posts: 1,645,786   Online: 1061

Shooter
    35mm

Can't release shutter once Len attached hasselblad 500cw

I am new to using a Hasselblad 500cw. The shutter works fine when the lens is not attached. But when I attach the lens I can't release the shutter. I have cocked the lens and the camera, I can attach and remove the Len with no problems. When I remove the lens I can release the shutter. I haven't been able to release the shutter on the lens manually. It is a new lens and I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or if there is a problem with the Len

Thank

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What lens? What shutter setting/speed?

On the CF and later lenses there's a little green* button at the left end of the shutter speed scale, with a green letter F to its right.
    You must depress the button to move the speed setting to or from the F position. If it's in that position, the shutter is open and the release linkage is locked.
    That setting is only used with bodies that have focal-plane shutters. It's not used, nor usable, with your camera.

Can you release the lens shutter manually, with the lens off the camera?
    1. Set the shutter speed to some slow value, like 1/15, so its operation will be obvious.
    2. Look at the back of the lens in its normal position, with the drive slot at the bottom.
    3. Note the position of the drive slot. It should be aligned with the red dot to its left. (If not, execute steps 6 & 7 below, then continue here.)
    4. Note the little pin just right of the drive slot, inside a small metal collar with the upper half missing. The pin is the shutter release.
    5. Gently press this pin down. You can use the end of a pen. The shutter should release.
    6. Re-cock the shutter by inserting a coin in the drive slot and turning it in the direction of the red arrow until it stops, almost a full turn.
    7. Remove the coin. The shutter should stay cocked, ready to be mounted on the camera.

If this test is successful, and the body works as you described, the two should work together.

- Leigh

*Note: The button is supposed to be green, but I've heard reports of other colors, like orange.
    Last edited by Leigh B; 04-05-2012 at 08:36 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    35mm
    It is a CFi 150mm lens. There is no pin inside the small metal collar that I can see. You can see right through.

Joanne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK. The back of the lens should look like this:

The shutter release pin is labeled Lock Pin in this photo. In truth it just releases the mechanism and transfers control to the slotted shaft.
    Since the lens is not mounted on the camera, this has the effect of releasing the shutter.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

If you have a film back on the lens, you must remove the dark slide for the shutter to release.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Who's Len?

Shooter
    35mm
    I have checked that the shutter speed button is not on F.
    I tried to reset the shutter on the lens manually with a pen but not thing happened.
    My lens doesn't look quite like the one in the picture posted by Leigh. I have attached a picture of what it looks like.
    thank you for everyone's helpClick image for larger version. 

Name:	_DSC0457.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	49081

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    OK. I've never seen a Hasselblad lens that had no pin. I think it's broken.

You might contact David Odess at http://www.david-odess.com/ and see what he thinks.

He's the best person that I know of to repair it (assuming you're in the US).

I used to repair Hasselblads, but I no longer do so except for my own equipment.

- Leigh

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin