Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,928   Posts: 1,522,162   Online: 1030

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Now that I have my new M645......

A few of you know I just picked up a Mamiya M645 Pro, with 3 rolls through it. It's going to replace my Nikon F4 that used to be my travel/take everywhere camera.

Can anyone reccomend a good 2nd lens to pick up? Everything I shoot will vary based on where I am. It will be with my daily and I will take it on trips. So I could be in Dover, UK one day, and london the next, or in Vermont the week after. Should I look into getting a 2nd back as well? I'm looking to keep the kit as light and small as possible too so I can fit it in a small belt pack. I just picked up a 58mm yellow and polorizer filter as well, and it would be great if the other lenses would be 58mm as well. I plan on shooting 100ASA and 400ASA Provia and 3200ASA Delta in this camera.

I'm not new to medium format I own a RZ kit that I use for 90% of my serious work. I know what lenses I use most of the time when I shoot the RZ, just different subject matter.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    IME mamiya doesn't make a bad lens across all the formats.
    The only complaint that pops up regularly is for the old 50 for RB.

It's really down to what FL you need first.
    Luckily they are cheap so you can play with quite a few and pass on the ones you wont use.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    A few of you know I just picked up a Mamiya M645 Pro, with 3 rolls through it. It's going to replace my Nikon F4 that used to be my travel/take everywhere camera.

Can anyone reccomend a good 2nd lens to pick up? Everything I shoot will vary based on where I am. It will be with my daily and I will take it on trips. So I could be in Dover, UK one day, and london the next, or in Vermont the week after. Should I look into getting a 2nd back as well? I'm looking to keep the kit as light and small as possible too so I can fit it in a small belt pack. I just picked up a 58mm yellow and polorizer filter as well, and it would be great if the other lenses would be 58mm as well. I plan on shooting 100ASA and 400ASA Provia and 3200ASA Delta in this camera.

I'm not new to medium format I own a RZ kit that I use for 90% of my serious work. I know what lenses I use most of the time when I shoot the RZ, just different subject matter.

Thanks!
    Get another back. Sometimes you'll see backs with 220 inserts going for very little. I grabbed several a few years back along with some 120 inserts and made up 3 backs for way less than a back with a 120 insert. 645 Backs are small and light compared to Mamiya RB/RZ backs.

Lenses? 55m is a nice moderate wide and 150 is a good short tele. Like Bruce said, there's really not dud in the Mamiya 645 lens pile.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello;
    I have an 1000s and find that the 55mm, 150mm, besides the stock 80mm are the most used. The other plus is the cost, around $125.00 for either. Extra film backs should be also on the list. Go out and enjoy your camera, Steven.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Extra backs, spare inserts, definitely. A 45mm is for me a must-have. The 150mm are dirt cheap. However much stuff you buy, you don't have to carry it all with you all the time; that was the misteak I made in the last century.
    Fred Latchaw
    Seattle WA

I am beginning to resent being referred to as 'half-fast'.
    Whatever that's supposed to mean.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the filter size matters to you, it is important to note that while many of the lenses take 58mm filters, some (like the 45mm "N" lens and the 150mm f/2.8 lens) take 67mm filters.

I tend to use my 55mm lens as a "standard" lens. The 110mm lens complements it nicely. At the outer edges, the 45mm and 210mm lenses keep them company.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good 2nd lens to pick up?
    I will take the dissent. I have owned my Mamiya for a year and have one lens, and have spent a whole year shooting it consistently without being tempted to buy another. I find that I know the lens quite welll now. But, we are all differentt, and photograph different, just wanted to throw that out there...

Regardlessess, congrats and welcome to the exciting Mamiya club!!!
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My Mamiya 645 lens collection seems to grow like a family of rabbits! They are just so cheap.
    Today I shot cherry blossoms with the 35mm and the 80/4 macro (with and without the macro spacer).
    I also really enjoy the 80/1.9
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a 110 and a 55. If anything, I found the 110 a little limiting, but that's because I use 50mm lenses almost exclusively on 35mm format. I picked up a 55mm for $50, and while its mechanics are less than perfect, I'd prefer to only have that, if I were forced to choose.
    In other worlds he has
    darker days, blacker swells.
    Strokes that mix noir revenge
    on waves of grey.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Get an additional back and the 45mm 2.8. It's a heavy lens but a blast to use. If you are using the waist level finder, the 45 is really great for street as well as landscapes. The 150, 80 and 45 make up a nice kit and not all that expensive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin