Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,121   Online: 811

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also, thanks a TON for all the replies!

Datchet, Berkshire UK- about 20 miles west of London
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I used a Bronica SQ-Ai professionally for landscape/urban work for a dozen years and can recommend that camera. You do need to understand though that MF cameras were never made in the volume that modern slrs reach and that some form of attention- whether a service or the occasional need for repair- isn't unusual. The very low price of the equipment means that for some people a problem leads to replacement rather than repair (its often cheaper) and the substandard component finds its way onto an auction site. So who you buy it from and the extent to which they offer some form of warranty or refund is really quite important.

WRT lens/filter thread issues discussed above- there is a 50S which does take 67mm filters. Unlike the longer lenses, there isn't a lot of difference between the 50S/PS in image quality, and the former will not let most people down. I used one for the entire time I used Bronica and you would not tell from my slides which were taken with the 50S. On the 110, a great lens btw there is an older version (though still PS) that takes the 67mm filters. It is cheaper and easier to find than the f4.5 version which focuses more closely. The lens I'm talking about focuses to c 2 feet and gives 1:4 magnification. So you can build a comprehensive lens system around 67mm filter threads.

Make sure also that what you buy includes the manual wind-on lever ( scarce and expensive used) as well as any Speedgrip included. Having said that the Speedgrip is a very desirable accessory as it makes handling much easier. Both is best. Finally think before you buy about how you're going to meter. Bronicas meters are OK but very unsophisticated by comparison to recent 35mm or dslr. A lot of users -including this one- preferred to use a handheld meter.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin