Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,836   Posts: 1,582,412   Online: 925

Thread: mamiya tlr 80mm

Shooter
    Medium Format

mamiya tlr 80mm

Hi all, I just got a Mamiya c3 off fleabay for $90. The front of the viewing lens has a nasty scratch that I knew about and don't care, but the back of the taking lens is all chippped up, like something was rattling around in there. My question is can I swap the rear elements, making a good taking lens?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    My understanding is the viewing and taking lenses are the same on the Mamiya TLR's--I'd say try it. I have all of the Mamiya TLR lenses except the 250mm and the viewing/taking lenses look the same on all of them--except for the shutter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The lenses are supposed to be identical and matched.

So... you should be able to exchange a scratched taking lens with a good viewing lens.

If I have understood correctly, you want to use the front elements off one lens and the rear off another. This is less desirable, as the lenses will have been tested as matched front and rear sets - but try it. Probably going to be better than having a damaged element.

I would photo a test target on a tripod using a slow film. You can then compare the before and after. I reckon it would be ok.
    Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the quick responses! I'm about to run the first roll through, to see if I can even see the chips (on a tripod!) Then I'll try swapping the rear elements. I'll post my results soon!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Be careful when you disassemble the cells, there may be shims to match them together, they fit around the barrel where they screw in and are thin.
    You may need to add or subtract shims, but first you need to Make Sure the foam rubber of the focussing screen is not causing a focus error, you can find my extensive directions here or on Photonet about how to do a foam replacement.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Graham Patterson's Mamiya TLR page http://www.btinternet.com/~g.a.patte...-contents.html which is pretty much the authority on these things, suggests that they may not be interchangeable. For the 80mm S lens it says " 'S' version does not have markings surrounding the lens front elements. Lens details and serial on top of viewing lens. The viewing lens is of different design from the taking lens, and elements are definitely not interchangeable with the taking lens." For the standard 80mm lens it just says updated to become the 'S' version.

I don't know if the fact that the warning about not being interchangeable is only on the 'S' version means that it is interchangeable on the earlier version, but it could also mean that neither is interchangeable. Certainly all other characteristics are the same. Check which one you have and go from there.

As it is unlikely you would be able to sell a lens in that state, you could try giving it a go anyway and if not, just get a new one. The 80mm 2.8 is the most common and probably cheapest lens out there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The price on 80mm lenses is so low that it would be better to buy a replacement, possibly the newest incarnation(blue dot)and not have to be bothered with doubt.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pre 'S' 80mm elements should be interchangable. But mixing elements between lenses is more of a lottery than switching the sets. Unless you work at full bore all the time, the rear element may not be as bad as you think. May be worth a film test with a light source near the frame corner.

For the front scratch, you could try filling it with a little flat black paint. That should reduce the flare, and nothing on the lens surface will image on the film. Use flat black poster paint so you can remove it with a Q-tip and water if your hand is not steady enough.

Graham
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin