Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,954   Posts: 1,522,785   Online: 985

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

TLR film advance

I'm wondering what first hand opinions are about tlr, knob vs crank film advance? Since these are aged bodies, and w/o a verified cla, which system is the most reliable? I've had R'cord's, R'flex's, Yashica's and a Diacord L. Your input is welcomed.

Gerry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It all depends, but I've had trouble with the crank advance-shutter cocking system on a Mamiya C330, never any trouble with the knob advance (separate shutter cocking) on a Yashica 635. The simpler the system, the less there is to go wrong. The completely manual red-window system would be the most foolproof . . .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am sure the knob advance is more reliable, since it has less parts. However, the crank on my Rolleiflex T never had a problem.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I agree that fewer parts on a knob wind should be more reliable than the combined crank wind and cock mechanism.

I have no experience of this though.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've never had any problems with either type. I currently own Mamiyas with both(C-220/C-330) and have owned several Yashicas with both styles.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    127 Format
    I have a Yashica 44 (127 film) with knob advance and knob focus. Many times I turn the advance knob by mistake when I go to focus. This is a "red window" camera and it is infuriating.

I also have a Minolta Autocord (120) with crank advance and no red window. It automatically locks at the next frame. I love that approach.
    - Bill Lynch

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have never had to have any repairs performed on my Mamiya C220 (knob) or C330 (crank advance and shutter cock) mechanisms. In the 30 + years I have used my C330, on a few, rare occasions I have had the double-exposure interlock engage when it shouldn't, but that is easily cleared using the multi-exposure function.

The C330's mechanism could be damaged or bent if one dropped the camera, but I would expect that it would be fairly easy to correct the problem.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I recently let my C220 and C3 go, but kept my C330. I owned the C3 since 1970, and the C220 since 73 or so. The C330 came along in the mid 80s. The C220 is the only camera not requiring repair of the film advance. The problem with the others was the grease drying up allowing it to skip frames, a simple problem to fix. Remove the cover and clean and reapply grease. Enjoy the C3, mine help put me through college and pay for our first house. The person I gave it to is using it too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the knob wind on my 2 Yashica D's. While not quite as fast as the crank/shutter cock cameras, the routine is easy to get used to. I used both of my cameras for weddings for several decades and they never let me down.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have both a Rolleiflex lever wind and a rolleicord knob wind, the knob wind has needed repair due to overlapping frames, the lever wind, which is the older camera by ten years, has never faltered, and still gives nicely evenly spaced frames.
    Richard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin