Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,782   Online: 722

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Kav

Shooter
    Multi Format

Hasselblad 70mm Film Questions

Ok, I did some searching, but have not found all of the answers I need. Iím looking into a project where I need to be able to shoot as many shots as I can without reloading the camera. The camera will be left alone and fired by an intervalometer for an extended period of time. Iím looking at getting an A70 back for my Hasselblad, but am unsure of what extras I need to get it to work. I know I need a cartridge to load the film onto, but I do not know if I need two of them to properly use the magazine. I am also open to any other high capacity Hasselblad compatible film magazines that are somewhat affordable. The more shots it can take the better. And one last question. Does anyone still develop 70mm color film, of am I on my own for that?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I researched the 70mm film system for Hasselblad a while back.
    1) No one has made the film with the necessary and proper perforations for years.
    2) Assuming that you could find the unexposed stock film, getting someone to make the perforations at a price you can afford is less than impossible.
    3) Finding someone to process the long film rolls is a life long search without success.
    4) Finding the tanks to process the long film rolls is probably extremely difficult at best.

Other than those problems, it will be clear sailing.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are some 16mm movie cameras that might work for you

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Have you looked into using a Camerz long roll camera? Camerz has two versions, one with 46 mm films and the other with 70 mm. I tried the 70 mm one once and it produced excellent images. It will give the negative of the size of 645. But you can shoot hundreds of shots on every 100 ft roll. There are a few places to process long roll films. Just search the internet. I still have a few partially used rolls in the freezer now. I had to cut the film at a few foot each to process in my own darkroom. I did that only for testing the camera. It worked really well. I am planing to adapt a 645 film magazine on it in order to shoot 120 or 220 films with the camera. It can be done but takes time. Camerz long roll cameras are dirt cheap now. Can be had from eBay for less than $100 shipping included. The 75 - 150 zoom lens on it is an amazing piece of optic. The Camerz camera with the adaption of a 645 magazine will make an excellent studio portraiture camera.

Kav

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I researched the 70mm film system for Hasselblad a while back.
    1) No one has made the film with the necessary and proper perforations for years.
    2) Assuming that you could find the unexposed stock film, getting someone to make the perforations at a price you can afford is less than impossible.
    3) Finding someone to process the long film rolls is a life long search without success.
    4) Finding the tanks to process the long film rolls is probably extremely difficult at best.

Other than those problems, it will be clear sailing.

Steve
    Sounds easy enough...

Quote Originally Posted by mtjade2007 View Post
    Have you looked into using a Camerz long roll camera? Camerz has two versions, one with 46 mm films and the other with 70 mm. I tried the 70 mm one once and it produced excellent images. It will give the negative of the size of 645. But you can shoot hundreds of shots on every 100 ft roll. There are a few places to process long roll films. Just search the internet. I still have a few partially used rolls in the freezer now. I had to cut the film at a few foot each to process in my own darkroom. I did that only for testing the camera. It worked really well. I am planing to adapt a 645 film magazine on it in order to shoot 120 or 220 films with the camera. It can be done but takes time. Camerz long roll cameras are dirt cheap now. Can be had from eBay for less than $100 shipping included. The 75 - 150 zoom lens on it is an amazing piece of optic. The Camerz camera with the adaption of a 645 magazine will make an excellent studio portraiture camera.
    I did look into the Camerz, but it's size and weight are deal breakers for me. I already have a 500ELX, and am not looking to add another camera to my collection for just one project. Motor drive and weight are two important factors for this project as well. That's why I'm looking into the 70mm backs for the Hasselblad.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Kodak still makes 70mm aerial films. Check out their webpage for more info:

http://www.kodak.com/ek/US/en/Aerial...rial_Films.htm

These guys, HAS Images, will process 70mm film (or they used to):

http://www.hasimages.com/

Jim B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
    Kodak still makes 70mm aerial films. Check out their webpage for more info:

http://www.kodak.com/ek/US/en/Aerial...rial_Films.htm

These guys, HAS Images, will process 70mm film (or they used to):

http://www.hasimages.com/

Jim B.
    When I inquired, I was told that the perforations were on the ones needed for the Hasselblad. If you have found otherwise, please let me know.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    When I inquired, I was told that the perforations were on the ones needed for the Hasselblad. If you have found otherwise, please let me know.

Steve
    I guess I'm not quite sure what you are asking.

I can tell you that many of the Kodak 70mm aerial films come perforated. Or at least they did. With Kodak's Chapter 11 filing of a few months back, I really don't know the current status of Kodak's aerial film division or what aerial films they still make.

I can tell you that, years ago, I put several thousand feet of perforated Kodak 70mm aerial film (mainly color infra-red) through a Rollei 6003 equipped with a 70mm back.

Try calling Kodak's aerial division. In the past they were extremely helpful with any questions we had.

Jim B.

Kav

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I contacted Kodak's aerial division and they have been very quick to respond, polite, and informative. In short they do not have any 70mm film and do not seem to be willing to coat and cut any. However I have been told that they have 9.5 inch stock that I can cut down to 70mm if I want. If I had the equipment and depending on the cost of everything I'd be game for it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I remembered reading of adapting Hasselblad 70mm backs to use non-perf film, so I did a quick search. A poster in this thread mentions an adapter kit, but hadn't used it: http://photo.net/medium-format-photography-forum/00YHgR
    This thread: http://www.markerink.org/WJM/HTML/70m_hass.htm has mention of the conversion not working well with motor drive cameras. It may be worthwhile to search for more information on using non-perf film with adapters. Possibly there is a conversion which works well. If so, then it might be worth slitting 9 1/2" aerial film. It would be interesting to find out if the non-perf conversion might work okay shooting single frames, as with an intervalometer, but when shooting bursts of several frames, the film starts to slip.

Len

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin