Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,707   Posts: 1,548,544   Online: 1046

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Fuji GX 680 Strange Problem

GX 680 Strange problem. I have 2 GX 680 bodies. One is suspected of being "bad" I got it from K*H for $29.00 with an AC power supply which indeed does work and in an attempt to test the body I set it up with known good lens (100mm) and a 120 back and the AC power supply. Using ILford Pan F when I turned the power on I got a green light and one sound of something cycling, which is not unusual, the sound was the lens stopping down or the shutter closing down and not re-opening. The green light then began blinking and there was no looking through the view finder, pressing the shutter release button exposed one frame, but the lens did not re open, strobe did fire, film advanced, green light continues to blink. Hmmm, says I. ..... I installed the 80mm lens and it immediately shuttered down to fully closed and will not re-open in any way or for any setting or any pressing of buttons. I now have 2 lenses closed down and cannot seem to get opened up !!! I am wondering if any one has experienced this or knows how to get my lenses open. I use the "good" body for small object studio work some and need to get going again. HELP !!!!!!
    Logan
    whlogan@loganphotographics.com .... if you'd like to send an email

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thread moved to medium format forum, though it could definitely produce some strange problems if you try to shoot glass plates in a GX680.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's been years since I owned 680's and they were the most reliable MF camera in my stable.

Perhaps the mirror lockup switch is jammed on? Try fiddling with that. Also try remounting the lens and firing the camera w/o a back attached in multiple exposure mode to free up the lens.

Eric

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Gonna give this a try epig... let you know if it does the job !!!!
    Logan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Embarassment/Learning Time or Confession is Good for the Soul Time
    All is well. There never was a problem except for me not knowing how the GX 680 really works.... here's the deal. Turns out when one hits the mirror up switch it also closes down the lens as one might suspect and keeps it that way so as not to expose film. Until one wants to expose the film. Thinking about that will make it quite clear. epig's note about the mirror up switch did the trick. And it did the job, Sir, and I thank you. Turns out the same switch on the "bad" body was up when it was tried and it may not be a "bad" body at all. Tomorrow's test will reveal that for us. It, too, was 'up' when tried yesterday. Sloppy work on my part. My father would not be pleased with such work, but might be pleased by figuring this all out. Thanks for all considerations.
    Logan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is one of the disadvantages of the GX680 MkI and MkII, when you are shooting multiple exposures and want to use the mirror lockup you have to drop the mirror manually and raise it again before you can take your next shot, fortunately along with a few other aesthetical changes this is not the case with the GX680MkIII. For me this was the biggest benefit of my having upgraded my MkII to a MkIII, the other changes are just nice to haves for me.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Whatever changes, all is well now....
    Logan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good to know it worked out. If you get your hands on the AE finder (a very cool accessory) be warned it'll cause a complete camera lockup if you use it in AE mode with mirror up mode.

Eric

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks
    Logan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by epig View Post
    Good to know it worked out. If you get your hands on the AE finder (a very cool accessory) be warned it'll cause a complete camera lockup if you use it in AE mode with mirror up mode.

Eric
    I've never known anything that can drain the batteries on a 680III like forgetting to switch the AE Finder off! Oooops. My most herniatic moment was carrying my GX680III with the AE Finder and the 100-200 zoom and support plus tripod around my local streets during a recent festival. I'm hiring Lisa Kelly and her Ice Road Truckers rig next time I need to shift it. The photo shows the camera and zoom lens (second from right) though not with the AE Finder attached.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Favourites rev2.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	49656
    Last edited by ContaxRTSFundus; 04-19-2012 at 02:22 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Illustrate the camera

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin