Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,678   Posts: 1,482,065   Online: 817

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    As someone who owns a 645 pro and heavily researched the RB67, I'd suggest feeling the weight of the camera first. I thought moving from 35mm to 645 was heavy, but the RB is almost twice as heavy as the 645 when fitted with a lens. Not a walkaround kind of deal, and I would only move from 6x4.5 to 6x7 if I really needed the extra film space. I don't print above 8x10, due to some limitations in the darkroom, so 645 is probably more than enough for my purposes, resolution wise. The only thing I would gain is the macro-focus capability, slightly improved detail and rendering in my prints, and a good conversation piece. The flash-sync capabilities are unimportant to me, as I never work with flash and film.
    In other worlds he has
    darker days, blacker swells.
    Strokes that mix noir revenge
    on waves of grey.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EKDobbs View Post
    the RB is almost twice as heavy as the 645 when fitted with a lens. Not a walkaround kind of deal
    I consider the RB67 (with the left hand grip) to be a walk around camera but I do suggest people try to handle one first before buying as not everyone will agree with me!

Steve.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    I consider the RB67 (with the left hand grip) to be a walk around camera but I do suggest people try to handle one first before buying as not everyone will agree with me!

Steve.
    I anchor mine to a Manfrotto 055 on a ballhead and just carry it with an extra back, film, maybe a polarizer, and meter. Mamiya 645 if I'm covering more real estate or need to move faster. The RB67's weight is a bit oversold.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I find that the size of the RB67 is more important than the weight, per se.

Although once you ad a couple of extra lenses, it is the weight and the size that one notices.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MattKing View Post
    I find that the size of the RB67 is more important than the weight, per se.

Although once you ad a couple of extra lenses, it is the weight and the size that one notices.
    That's the truth. An extra lens AND a prism viewfinder if you get one adds alot of volume. One other consideration is if shooting with a waist level or non-metered prism you have to allow for exposure on bellows draw on close shots according too the side mounted scale. If your a reasonably tall guy tho the camera and one lens is not a bad package and easily transportable. I'd rate it about the same as carrying a 4x5 Graphic with the RB a faster shooter and the Graphic with more abilities. One other option is the Pentax 67 II.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks to all,
    It,s the portrait mode only that I have reservations with the 645, unless shooting with an eye prism
    that I can rotate, 645 that is always in landscape orientation ( I think) would be perfect for me.
    Less weight and fair size negatives.
    Haven't totally ruled out 6x6, such a classic. But I just can't see in my mind a landscape shot that is square.
    Till I make up my mind, I will start to shoot with my new FE2, new old stock that I got last year. and get set up to even see if I can finish the negatives myself I don't even know if I can do that.
    All I know is that a couple of months ago, I went to WalMart which is the only place left that finishes negatives and I asked about finishing Chromogenic black and white. the answer that I got was, " If it says professional on the box we can't finish it" to which I explained that this has nothing to do with it, it is the process , and that they are made to be finished in C41. To which the response was, " what is C41".
    I WALKED OUT.
    I will be without a computer for a few days as it is going out to get Windows 7 installed.
    But still feel free to comment in the interim.
    Sincerely,
    Ronald

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by RonaldD View Post
    Thanks to all,
    It,s the portrait mode only that I have reservations with the 645, unless shooting with an eye prism
    that I can rotate, 645 that is always in landscape orientation ( I think) would be perfect for me.
    Haven't totally ruled out 6x6, such a classic. But I just can't see in my mind a landscape shot that is square.
    Till I make up my mind, I will start to shoot with my new FE2, new old stock that I got last year. and get set up to even see if I can finish the negatives myself I don't even know if I can do that.
    All I know is that a couple of months ago, I went to WalMart which is the only place left that finishes negatives and I asked about finishing Chromogenic black and white. the answer that I got was, " If it says professional on the box we can't finish it" to which I explained that this has nothing to do with it, it is the process , and that they are made to be finished in C41. To which the response was, " what is C41".
    I WALKED OUT.
    I will be without a computer for a few days as it is going out to get Windows 7 installed.
    Sincerely,
    Ronald
    What dark corner of Ontario is home?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It's worth thinking about. My first medium format SLR was a Bronica ETRS as that was all I could afford. Later I bought an RB67. If I could have afforded a Bronica SQ at the time I bought the ETRS I don't think I would have bothered with the RB67.

however, I do like the square format and my Rolleicord is probably my most used camera.

Steve.

Shooter
    35mm
    CGW,
    Haileybury, ( now Temiskaming Shores )
    about 145 KM north of North Bay.
    It's actually what we older person refer to the Tri Towns.
    Cobalt, Haileybury and New Liskeard
    Ronald

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks to all,
    I WALKED OUT.
    Sincerely,
    Ronald
    Ronald- if you want to see square landscapes, take a look in the galleries here. There are plenty of them. For a specific example of someone who shoots square landscapes, try Bill Schwab and his Iceland work for natural landscapes, and his Detroit series for urban landscapes.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin