Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,754   Posts: 1,515,944   Online: 962

Shooter
    Multi Format

Mamiya 645 80/2.8 vs 80/1.9?

Any thoughts on these two lenses (N versions)? Aside from the DOF differences, of course. How is the image quality at like apertures?

Thanks,

Mark

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    As an owner of the 1.9 (non-N), I have to say that when wide open it is hard to focus because the DOF is +/- 1 inch! However, when I nail a photograph wide open, it sure is a joy. Is the extra stop worth the extra $, only you can decide that. I bet, both lenses at 2.8, of the same scene, wd be hard to distinguish

1.9 (non-N):
    Andy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Like a fine musical instrument the f/1.9 can be hard to master, but when you do it sings.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With respect to issues of handling and practicality:
    1) The 2.8 lens uses the fairly standard 58mm filters, while the 1.9 version uses larger 67mm filters;
    2) The 1.9 lens is larger and almost twice as heavy; and
    3) The Mamiya 645 focus assist lever fits on the 2.8 lens but won't fit on the 1.9 lens.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

NJS
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I owned 80/1.9C for few years, it was a great lens wide open and it got better even closed down, I can only suspect N version would do better.
    The only 2 reasons why I ditched all of my M645 gear were that I hated 6x4.5 framing and I got a nice offer to swap whole kit for even nicer SQ-A kit.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin