Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,907   Posts: 1,555,902   Online: 1066

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The cost of the CLA is actually more than another camear in better condition but that's the way it goes unfortunately. I'm lucky that the 1930's Compur on my 530 (not 531 as I posted earler) is accurate and I' was lucky to find a brand new post WWII coated Novar which is a direct swap.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yup, it was $100 for the 521 2 years ago and another $100 now for the CLA. Cosmetically it is in great condition. It was usable and gave fairly decent results within the limitations of the unknown shutter speeds, but I wanted to get it back to near-new functional condition and see what it will do. It should now be good for longer than I live.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Funny, I tested a Zeiss Super Ikonta (Tessar) with a home built shutter tester...things seemed darn accurate. You can also adjust the rangefinder quite easily, so I made a ground glass to mimic the film plane, set focus to infinity and worked it backwards against the rangefinder images and it was perfect.

So I took it out and shot some slide film--which I consider the ultimate test for shutter accuracy and everything came out splendid. I got the slide scanned professionally and it was so sharp that the lab chuckled when I showed them the camera that took it.

Lesson: these are great friggen cameras and if you are comfortable with little screws and tinkering, things can be managed relatively easily outside of a complete shutter cleaning (when needed). I really regret selling mine.

Have fun! These are not toys, but professional worthy cameras (great for hiking too).
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Klainmeister, that's a good observation about slide film. It was a disastrous roll of Velvia that showed how badly the shutter needed maintenance. Paul found that the main spring had lost tension, he fixed that, with the result that the shutter is now within 3/1000 at all speeds. A few are dead on. That is just amazing.

You are right, they are great cameras. When I said it was a toy, it was in the sense that anything purchased for a hobby is a toy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin