Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,900   Posts: 1,584,394   Online: 674

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Rolleimagic maintenance

Yesterday I picked up a RolleiMagic @ a modest price (I think it's the R-M II, but the badge is missing)
    but it seems that the meter is out. Since these were early 60s, I suspect it's one of those dang CDS
    cells that Goossen put in. Anyone know of a replacement parts source?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Go take a look at some of the Rollei fan websites- IIRC Rolleimagics of any stripe are highly discouraged. I don't know if they are useable without a working meter, and I'm pretty sure the meters in any variety are un-repairable if broken. If you can return it for a refund, that would be my first advice. Look around for a decent 2.8 C, D or E. Deals can be found with a bit of patience - I got my 2.8E off Ebay for right around $500. Meter is toast, but that's to be expected. Everything else is in good working order if not cosmetically.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not a CDS cell. I'd use it without the meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Edsel of the Rollei line. When I only had one Rolleiflex and dreamed of trying others I almost bought one but as mentioned most recommend just staying away.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,
    the Rolleimagics were cheaper models for the amateur who wanted an automatic exposure camera. The lightmeter is a selenium cell which cannot be repaired or exchanged if dead since it is no longer available as a spare part. The Rolleimagics are said to be rather unreliable and today many are dead. In contrast to all other Rollei TLR's they have a simplified front lens focussing Tessar because of the integration of the automatic mechanism. If you want to take pictures with the camera, every other post-war Rolleiflex or -cord (with coated lens) is the better choice.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well, since I already have it, perhaps some other use for it is in order.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rich815 View Post
    The Edsel of the Rollei line. When I only had one Rolleiflex and dreamed of trying others I almost bought one but as mentioned most recommend just staying away.
    I think calling it the Edsel of Rolleis is an insult to Edsels. At heart, they were good cars, just rushed into production and so they had QC problems right off the factory line, particularly in the paint department. Once rebuilt, they are solid, reliable vehicles. The Rolleimagic, once dead, stays dead. Plus they're even uglier than an Edsel. Sixty years on, the horse collar grill kinda grows on you. I don't think anyone will ever love the snout they put on the Rolleimagic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Horse collar grill.....I guess that's ONE way of looking at it, amongst others........ HA!
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are sources for selenium meter cells. Before junking the camera (and I do think the meter must be working for the camera to work, at least the Rolleimagic I), contact Quality Light Metric (I think that's the name) in LA.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Nick,
    Right now the shutter fires at one speed and then with a delay after pressing the release. Not right.
    Thanks. I'll see what the cost would be.
    Otherwise I might be best off to sell it and try to break even.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin