Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,222   Online: 907

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mamiya shift lens flare - Mamiya RZ67 accuracy of image on focus screen

I've been doing some shots at dawn / dusk in an urban setting with the and have been running into trouble with lights on the very edge of frame (or just outside) causing flare. I was going to add a link, but I'm not allowed to for some reason as I've not posted five messages yet.

I'm sure there's not much I can do to avoid it except to make sure there's no light source there (!), so I'm wondering how accurately the framing of the image on the focusing screen matches what's recorded on film, i.e. if I move a light to be properly out of frame per the ground glass, will it be in the same place on film? I'm only really having issues with the left and right edges in landscape orientation, so it's the hard/static edges I'm worried about rather than viewfinder masks that move in when rotating the back.

Thanks, James

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Sorry, that should have been with the 75mm shift lens...

Shooter
    Large Format
    With an SLR, what you see is what you get.

A bright light source needn’t be part of the on-film image to cause lens flare. If there is a straight line between the bright light source and any part of the front glass surface or the surface of any filters on the lens, then flare is possible.

Such bright light sources might also include mirror-like reflections, such as reflected by water, glass, metal, ice, snow, and so forth.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My experience is with the RB67, not the RZ. However, I have found that there is slightly more image exposed on the film than visible on the ground glass... this is with two different RB67 ProS bodies.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for that. I did suspect it might be the case as last time I went out I tried to make sure there was nothing bright on the edges but still got the same problem appearing. I'll make sure to push them out further next time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The following is pure speculation....

As the shift lens would have more coverage than a normal lens for the RZ/RB, is it possible that the lights are in the the non-picture area of the image circle and thus still having influence on not only the surface of the lens but also on the film plane in the form of bellows flare?

IF SO... then careful use of a bellows lens shade could help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Compendium shade may help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Compendium! That's the word I was looking for. =) Thanks, Dale.

Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    Compendium shade may help.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin