Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,846   Posts: 1,582,717   Online: 891

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I can't remember who, but someone once showed that the price of a new Leica, adjusted for inflation, has remained constant from the 1950's. My RZ kit (body, 4 lenses, winder, 4 backs) was almost $10k in 1991 - I know this because when I picked it up from the original owner, I found the receipt in one of the bags. I purchased a consignment Yashicamat 124G while working in the camera store; $319.74 including tax on the original Sears receipt, stapled to the warranty card. Even the price of digital has remained fairly constant - see the price of a Nikon D1 in 2001 with the price of a new D4 and it is fairly close when adjusted for inflation.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you want to pay over $1,000 just for a name, sure get a hassleblad.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Not sure what the new prices were before the advent of digital but a new Hasselblad 503CW can be currently bought for £2466.00 from Richard Caplan (UK), expensive yes but not really extortianate.

Sim2.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think Hasselblads came down in price dramatically because wedding photographers dumped them on the market enmass as they went digital.

Rolleis were always owned by a more diverse group and the pricing has reflected that as well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Before I could only dream about owning a Hasselblad. I would not dare to touch one for the fear of a horrendous GAS attack.

Now I own a Hasselblad 503 CX, a Hasselblad 903 SWC, and lenses!
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1978 I paid $1100 for a new 500cm kit 80mm T star. Got it for shooting weddings, now use it on a tripod and no flash.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Before I could only dream about owning a Hasselblad. I would not dare to touch one for the fear of a horrendous GAS attack.

Now I own a Hasselblad 503 CX, a Hasselblad 903 SWC, and lenses!
    Just for the name???
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by filmamigo View Post
    Pardon my cheekiness but I can't resist the bait

I recently sold my 2.8F because it had equal sharpness but poor contrast and colour compared to my razor sharp Yashinon-lensed Yashica Mat LM.
    Some of the 1960s Yashinons were very low quality lenses - By the time QC was tightened up I was into Rollei - A friend of mine in Oxford at the time bought a SH Yashica and that had a terrible lens - A few years later another friend, in the Pilbara, had one that had a really sweet lens - So it was a QC or assembly issue at that time

Your post brings up again the Zeiss/Leitz argument between contrast and resolution, where a contrasty lens, Zeiss, can appear sharper than a lens with higher resolution, Leitz - Also, there is the question of corner quality between the Planar/Yashica, did you compare that as well - Anyway breakfast is ready, so no more digression

John
    Last edited by John Austin; 04-19-2012 at 09:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    If you want to pay over $1,000 just for a name, sure get a hassleblad.
    Or buy one of my prints and get quality as well as the name for the same price

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had figured this out and posted it earlier. When you take into account inflation, new Rolleiflex 2.8 TLR cost much more today than it did in the late 1960s.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin