Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,333   Posts: 1,537,478   Online: 1133

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

cost of hasselblad/rolleiflex before the advent of digital?

I'm wondering, how much did these cameras cost before the digital? It amazes me how we can get such high quality cameras for "relatively cheap" in comparison to full-frame DSLR's.

Which models in particular? IDK, I just wanted a rough estimate, but I guess a 500cm+Planar and a Rolleiflex 2.8F.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Where I am, Rolleiflex 2.8s still haven't come down in price that much. Especially if they're in nice condition, I still see them for around $2,000.

Hasselblads, on the other hand, suddenly seemed to lose popularity overnight. A few of my local dealers were almost inundated with Hasselblad gear. Compared to 2 to 3 years ago, one can be had for less than $1,000 (they were at least twice that much before.)
    Those who know, shoot film

Southern Forest Region, Western Australia
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    In England in 1967 they were 187 Pounds, 8 shillings and 5 pence - Sorry this site does not have real currency symbols

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rollei1967UK.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	340.1 KB 
ID:	49638

This is a drool sheet of mine from that time, it took until 1976 before I graduated to a 2.8f from a borrowed T - I never descended to the depths of using a fuzzy lensed Yashica

John
    Last edited by John Austin; 04-19-2012 at 10:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks.

It seems that they really haven't come down in price thaat much (for the case of the Rollei, atleast).

I looked at some online calculators and it looks like 187 pounds is ~ 300 USD which is approximately ~2k USD when inflation is taken into account.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Old Man View Post
    I never descended to the depths of using a fuzzy lensed Yashica
    Pardon my cheekiness but I can't resist the bait

I recently sold my 2.8F because it had equal sharpness but poor contrast and colour compared to my razor sharp Yashinon-lensed Yashica Mat LM.
    My other camera is a Pentax

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Seems like a basic Hasselblad outfit (body, 80mm, WL finder, A12 back) can be had nowadays, in excellent used condition, for $800 in the USA. The same setup in, say, 2000, would have been twice that, easy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Rolleiflex 2.8. I don't know how much it is worth, but I don't care. I'll be long dead when I get rid of it.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A brand new Hasselblad 503CW kit can still be bought from Hasselblad UK for about £6k. That's 6x of what I paid for my 501CM/80CB/A12 kit two years ago.
    Hasselblad, Mamiya RB, Nikonos, Canon EOS

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    When I worked in the camera store (2-years ago), this gentleman came in with 2 A-12 Hasselblad backs; he wanted $700 a piece as he had paid almost $1000 each in 1998. We told him they were about $100-150 and he walked out, complaining we were trying to low-ball him.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks! I wasn't questioning/arguing the value/worth--I just wanted to know how much they cost when new. I don't own a Rolleiflex Planar (although I want one!) but I too could care less for how much it would sell for or how much it would be worth in the future.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin