Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,280   Posts: 1,534,885   Online: 858

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Treasure found

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Like quite a few on eBay, I suspect that the seller is just a nitwit and thinks the camera is a: worth a fortune because it's old, b: made a mistake with the decimal point, C: things some bidders are morons, and D: all of the above. I have seen sellers with Argus C-3s and starting bids of $100. Generally, if one gets $10 for a C-3, they are doing pretty well. Yet, it can be a very good camera if it's properly adjusted and the user knows how to shoot photographs. same for the Isolettes, and many of them suffer from frozen helicals, bad bellows, or bad shutters. I have 3 Isolettes, (1 is an Ansco Speedex -- same thing). Two of them work great. The other has something wrong with the focus.
    Mark O'Brien -
    At the home of Argus cameras...Ann Arbor, MI
    http://www.geocities.com/argusmaniac/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I found an Ansco Titan (yet another variation of the Isolette and Speedex) at an antique mall for $15. It had swiss cheese bellows and fungus in the lens, but felt pretty sturdy, and the shutter seemed to be firing okay. After cleaning it up and patching some holes with nail polish I ran a test roll through it. I was so impressed with the picture quality that I went out and found a nice, clean model (and it didn't cost a whole lot more). It's become my standard daytime camera when I don't want to carry much.

The Titan has a f/3.5 90mm anastigmat lens. It's labeled Ansco, but I've read gossip that claims that the lens and shutter were built by Wollensak. One of my favorite features is the color coordinated DOF scale. It takes the standard 12 6x6, and fits into my back pocket like a stuffed wallet.

After using the Titan for a while I found a clean Zeiss Ikonta 6x9 folder with a tessar lens (for quite a bit more money that the Titan). I really enjoyed using it also, but after doing some tests I found I really couldn't tell the difference between the lenses at up to 11"x size prints, so I went back to using the Titan. It's a little smaller, and I like square images anyway.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's a test shot from the Isolette I found recently. Shot with available light today at about 1.00pm, HP5 f5.6 @ 1/25, rodinal 1+50 @ 16mins 30secs. The camera has the Agnar 1:4.5/85mm lens. Looks a perfectly capable tool to me. The first attachment is a complete neg scan with nothing done but resizing for upload, the second is a zoom and crop to show some detail not evident in the first, again nothing done to it except cropping and resized for upload. The third is an even tighter crop. As is the fourth. I think this may become a 'carry everywhere' camera!
    Last edited by Andy K; 12-23-2004 at 04:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by esearing
    I only wrote down it was an Isolette with a Schneider Lens. I didn't even write down the site where I saw it. Could it have been a modifed camera? Or a limited edition?
    I've never seen an Isolette with a Schneider lens; maybe a retrofit. $350 is a bit pricey even for a Super Isolette.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Remember that it is the buyers that will determine the correct price for any camera offered on Ebay. I have seen some first time buyers go off the deep end and pay prices that were just plain nuts. $350. for and Isolette is a case in point. With a little effort this camera could be found at a garage sale for $15.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin