Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,562   Posts: 1,545,294   Online: 780

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Treasure found

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Treasure found

While surfing the web on an unusually slow Friday I came across a sale of an Agfa Isolette for $350. Remembering I had an old Agfa stashed away I decided to dig for it. Mine was not the Isollette but the Planex. A mere $5-$25 camera.

However the wollensak shutter is working and sounds right at all speeds, the lens is clear, and the bellows appear to be light tight. I'm missing the half frame mask but I can get 8 frames 6x9 on 620/120 film. There is some grime on the shutter that would not come off.

Looks like a great little walking around camera that'll slip into a coat pocket. This is a folding camera from the 1920's. Nice art deco style and ribbed covering.

Any one using one of these or similar cameras?
    Eric
    www.esearing.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Search the site for "folders" and you should find a few relevant threads. These are great little portable cameras, just to carry around for casual shots or for travel.

In medium format, I use a Voigtlander Perkeo II 6x6 and a Voigtlander Bessa II 6x9, and I've also got a Voigtlander Vitessa-L 35mm folder. Usually the Perkeo or the Bessa is in my briefcase.

I've also found the perfect tripod for these cameras--the Linhof Report. It folds flat, and the legs snap in place, so it sets up really quickly (the bottom two sections snap in one position only, but the top sections also have locking collars, so you can use them to level the tripod on uneven ground). It was designed for use without a head, but you can add a little ballhead for ease of use. I usually use it with a Linhof Universal Ballhead 1.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

edz

Shooter
    Multi Format

Iso-lette-madness

Quote Originally Posted by esearing
    While surfing the web on an unusually slow Friday I came across a sale of an Agfa Isolette for $350.
    What kind of Isolette could that have been? I got my 5 year old daughter a "Jsolette V" last month--- I promissed her a folding camera but it took a bit of patience to get her a good working one since its for taking pictures and not just for the showcase--- via eBay and paid (including case) a whopping 2 EURO (Tutto Completto, my daughter even picked it up personally). This one is very clean and the optics are clear and clean... 2 EURO was a very good price but these cameras despite having cost over 18 Pounds Sterling in 1951, don't tend to be worth more than $10-$20 USD. today. The Isolette-III which has a rangefinder with the Apotar is worth a bit more... but hardly more than $25-$30 USD or so.
    Edward C. Zimmermann
    BSn R&D // http://www.nonmonotonic.net

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by edz
    What kind of Isolette could that have been?
    I only wrote down it was an Isolette with a Schneider Lens. I didn't even write down the site where I saw it. Could it have been a modifed camera? Or a limited edition?

I tend to surf randomly and go where the links take me. I run across all sorts of weird and wonderful stuff that way.
    Eric
    www.esearing.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    $350 for an Isolette? :o Was it gold plated? I picked one up for £5 (GBP) in a junk shop today. In excellent condition and fully operational.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Images
    While it still sounds a bit high, a Super Isolette in top condition might fetch that price. There's one on Ebay right now for a Buy It Now of $400.00.

I recently acquired an Iskra, which is similar to a Super Isolette or a Super Ikonta IV (I think). The build quality is not great, but it's a very capable camera.
    "If You Push Something Hard Enough, It Will fall over" - Fudd's First Law of Opposition

Shooter
    35mm RF
    $400 for an Agfa? No way would I pay that much. At that price, the bellows had better be in excellent condition, and the same goes for the lens helical -- two notorious problems with the Agfa Isolettes.

My favorites are the Ikontas and Super Ikontas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by esearing
    Any one using one of these or similar cameras?
    My Grandfather gave me his old one when I was about 6 yrs old. My first ever camera.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Bennett
    While it still sounds a bit high, a Super Isolette in top condition might fetch that price. There's one on Ebay right now for a Buy It Now of $400.00.

I recently acquired an Iskra, which is similar to a Super Isolette or a Super Ikonta IV (I think). The build quality is not great, but it's a very capable camera.
    The Super Isolette you mentioned has a Solinar lens. Another Super Isolette wit an Apotar is listed for GBP 3.50 !
    Wilbert
    http://www.photovergne.com
    Cours photo en Auvergne

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have an AGFA soliette (the 35mm folder) and it works great. Takes nice pics. The weird part is my wife bought it for me at a garage (junk) sale as a curio, for $6 Australian dollars. (About $4 USD)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin