Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,503   Posts: 1,543,421   Online: 851

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tron_ View Post
    So I have been researching for months for which camera to get. I'm at the point where I feel like I am ready to buy a MF camera finally

I have boiled my options to a Mamiya RZ67 or a Bronica SQ-Ai. I would like to go 6x6 or 6x7 from what I have been reading online. The camera will be used hand held most of the time. I have read the RZ67 is pretty heavy but I have read a few people say they use theirs hand held all the time. Can someone shed some light on this?

Also, the Bronica would be paired with a WLF, 80mm 2.8 PS lens, and 120 back. The Mamiya would be outfitted with a 110mm 2.8, WLF, and 120 back.

Thanks!
    Handheld?; Bronica
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

NJS
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    well, SQ-A only if you are willing to use shutter speeds 1/125s and faster. I got very mixed results for anything slower than that, the mirror slap is just brutal on both of my SQ-As.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have both the Bronica GS-1 and the Etrsi Cameras, I have used a SQ also and found it to be also of the same high build Quality.

I have had both my cameras for many years and they work and work......I have a backup ETRS body in my set and I never needed to use it.

With regards to the RB 67's they are big and really only usefull in a studio, the GS is compact and lighter, the only issue is that some lenses and Accessorys are
    hard to get, or $$$ it took me a year to find a 6x6 back and a AE Rotary Finder.

KEH is a good place for nice Bronica items, I bought a 200mm GS lens in EX condition :- only $139 !!! and remember this lens cost about $2000 new !!!

Buy a SQ you will be happy

Johnkpap

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by NJS View Post
    well, SQ-A only if you are willing to use shutter speeds 1/125s and faster. I got very mixed results for anything slower than that, the mirror slap is just brutal on both of my SQ-As.
    WTF? Ever try mirror lock-up? No such problems with a Bronica SQ-B.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    This GS-1 you say has a 6x6 back???
    Yes, I have both the 120 and 220 6x6 backs.

Because I just looked at a few online and one of these bodies with a 150 f4, back, WLF, and speed winder is at a $300 buy it now price!!!
    And it's probably less than 20 years old. All electronic if you can deal with that - it will not fire without a battery. But it's nice and compact and I routinely take it (AE Prism finder), three lenses and two backs when I'm hiking in the Rocky Mountains. But you do have to be careful of the dark slides. They are very dangerous!

If they are that cheap, and just as good as a Hassy, I'd just as soon sell my Hassy and go Bronica.
    I've never used a Hasselblad, but I have a Rollei SLX that has an 80mm f/2.8 Zeiss lens and I can't say there's much difference in optical quality.
    Last edited by Tony-S; 04-24-2012 at 08:43 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm seriously considering it... like seriously.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristopherCoy View Post
    Ok, ok, ok.... whooooaaa truck!

This GS-1 you say has a 6x6 back??? Because I just looked at a few online and one of these bodies with a 150 f4, back, WLF, and speed winder is at a $300 buy it now price!!!

If they are that cheap, and just as good as a Hassy, I'd just as soon sell my Hassy and go Bronica. I like my Hassy, but I can't afford to do anything else with it because of the expensive equipment. I'm stuck at 80mm with no possibility of any other focal range any time soon....
    First decide if you want 6x6 only or that and 6x7. The Bronica SQ series is 6x6, smaller and lighter than the GS-1. The GS-1 is compact compared to the Mamiya RB/RZ, but bulky for a 6x6 SLR. Don't forget that lenses and accessories are also larger and heavier. If you like the idea of shooting both 6x6 and 6x7, the GS-1 could be just the thing.
    Last edited by lxdude; 04-24-2012 at 09:34 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm definitely a 6x6 shooter. Its by far my favorite. So much so that I'm also contemplating getting rid of my 35mm gear thats collecting dust.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well then, the SQ series might be what you would prefer, given your financial constraints. I can't say they're "just as good" as Hasselblad, not having used a Hasselblad much and given Hasselblad's and Zeiss's reputations, but I think you will find that a Bronica performs very well. I have Bronica ETRSi's and have been pleased with them.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I went from H'blad to SQA ,with the usual 50/80/150 lens set, and did not feel I lost anything in optical quality.
    Blads have a semi-mythical reputation,but the cameras themselves need regular servicing to remain reliable. The rear shutter flaps are a weak design point.
    Before the flame wars begin -I loved mine (500ELM) -even when the "chrome" began to flake off..3 months from new.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin