Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,223   Posts: 1,532,521   Online: 1127

Shooter
    Medium Format

Mamiya 645 N series lens dust advice?

Hi Folks,

I just bought a Mamiya 645N series 45mm lens. I'm new to medium format.

On receipt and inspection of the lens it looks like new showroom condition with no exterior wear whatsoever.

Upon examining the glass there are two things. There seems to be some dust inside the lens which appears as almost clear.

More importantly there are also two little black specs which are thin , symmetrical and rectangular (not organic...perhaps paint specs?) and are different from the other stuff that I perceive as dust.

The 2 black specs are very noticeable when looking up close onto a white surface through the glass.

My question is how much would this affect the photograph? Particularly when I photograph outdoors with lots of blue sky?

I can return this lens if needed. Advice greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by BennyK; 04-27-2012 at 02:47 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Small particles such as you’ve described have no effect on the image projected onto the film. If you have small particles of opaque black material inside, those are most likely flakes of the dull, black light-absorbing coating applied to the inside of the lens barrel and are of no consequence, not even when photographing a light colored area.

If you’re uncomfortable with the particles inside the lens and can return it, you should do so and find one that’s satisfactory.

We discussed this about 2009 or 2010 or so in a thread entitled something like “Black Specs on Lens”. Unfortunately, due to the ongoing server issues that thread isn’t currently accessible so I can’t provide a link at this time.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I wouldn't sweat it. Dust has to be way beyond random specks to soften an image. The black bits may be paint from the interior of the lens and likely won't affect anything either. Your call.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the replies.....upon further inspection the black specs were on the front of the lens and I was able to blow them off very carefully. At first I couldn't so I thought they were inside.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	img046.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	732.3 KB 
ID:	50058 Take a look at this 80mm 2.8 mamiya blue dot lens and the resulting photo taken wide open.Looks good to me,despite the lens separation and particles.After experimenting with this I'm never again gonna be afraid of dust!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	50060 Here it is !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You may want to read this before worrying about small dust particles. Or large ones. http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011...e-of-lens-dust

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Mamiya 645 lenses see to have special, it's almost a 'super-power', tendencies for attracting and collecting dust internally.

Does it matter? Not really. Except maybe to haggle on the price a bit...

JJ

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by olwick View Post
    You may want to read this before worrying about small dust particles. Or large ones. http://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2011...e-of-lens-dust
    I live Rogers work. Excellent as always.

JJ

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin