Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,666   Posts: 1,481,697   Online: 703

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Pentax inserts are cheap and pre-loaded ones can be swapped out in just a few seconds.
    Whole P645N camera bodies with sophisticated spot/cw/matrix metering prism finders and motordrives built in sell for a few hundred dollars-- less than the cost of a relatively crude metering prism finder alone for the Bronicas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There's something to that-
    The AE-III finder for the Bronica is not cheap. It's very good for AE, with AE lock, adjustable diopter and some other nice features, with CW and spot metering and an LCD readout, but it is not completely coupled during manual operation. You set the shutter speed and turn the aperture ring until that speed shows on the readout, or set the aperture desired and match the shutter dial to the speed indicated. I think if a metering prism is desired for manual use, the AEII is a better value.

I do like the feel and quietness of the Bronica with the crank or Speed Grip.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post

I do like the feel and quietness of the Bronica with the crank or Speed Grip.
    Forgot to mention what I like even more- the quietness and low vibration of the leaf shutter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I can only compare the Bronica SQ to the Pentax 645. First, when it comes to loading film into either of the inserts, I find the Pentax far less cumbersome (going to use that term a few times here).

The Pentax has a nice hinged roll holder. Easily flipped up and down. The Bronicas have to be pushed out. Depending on the style and age of your insert, may be loose or stiff.

As for getting the film started, with Pentax, plenty to grab onto, and doesn't feel like you're going to break anything. one thumb inserts the tongue, other thumb rotates the gear. Insert pushed in, lock turns.

With Bronica, it's like a Skeleton. Always feels fragile, and very cumbersome. And when it comes time to put the insert in, you have to pay attention to what side, and make sure the gear goes into the slot for it. Then without it falling out, you have to close the back.

However, that all has to do with loading the film INTO the insert. Easy with Pentax, pain with Bronica. I hate having to load film on location with my Bronica.

I do like the Bronica backs as they're entirely self-contained. The Pentax inserts need a box to ensure their safety.

Putting the Bronica backs on with the prism viewfinders is often an annoyance. You have to insert the two lip catches at the right angle, and have to line them up with the holes. All while you can't see what you're doing because the prism is blocking view. I've scratched mine up to hell.

The Pentax inserts just push in, and you turn the lock.

Prefer my Bronica, but it's definately a pain when it comes to loading film. That I cannot deny. The Pentax though is my workhorse. I own three of them, and two sets of glass.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Forgot to mention what I like even more- the quietness and low vibration of the leaf shutter.
    On the other hand, the lack of mirror vibration on the Pentax is amazing.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Pentax 220 insert conversion

For us Pentax 645 users extra inserts are the way to go. I now have four; the last one, a 220, was only $8.00, with box, in KEH "E" condition. With the apparent demise of 220 film the 120 inserts have risen in price while the 220 inserts have dropped. A 220 insert can be converted to 120 with a proper screwdriver, careful work, and maybe three minutes of your time. Just don't lose the tiny screw! Of course you'll have to label the converted insert properly, but that's easy. I'll try to find the reference with pictures and post it. It is soooooo easy!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Okay, I found the thread. There are pictures to guide you on the conversion.

http://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/p...agazine-2.html

Enjoy!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes the 220 inserts with cases are less than the empty case. Also no need to relabel if you are only using 120 film, just convert all of them. One trick is if the insert is empty or used, don't turn the latch, leave it pointing sideways.
    Bob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin