Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,530   Posts: 1,543,966   Online: 1096

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Mamiya 645 1000s focusing/film loading question .

I just got back my first two rolls of film from my Mamiya 645 1000s, and noticed that most of the images were slightly out of focus. For the most part I was using the 150mm and 300mm lenses. I am thinking of getting the magnifier to help with the focusing. My other thought is that perhaps I am not loading the film properly such that it is not stretched taut across the pressure plate.

Is not loading the film properly a common cause for OOF images? Any suggestions for making sure the film is properly situated against the pressure plate? I just bought a motorized winder. Will this help at all?

I am going to be doing some extensive shooting next week, and obviously want to try and avoid OOF shots.

Thanks!
    Graham from St. Augustine, FL

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Were they all back/front focused for both lenses? If so, it probably has something to do with how the film was situated. This could be because of loading error, but would most likely be a result of the insert. Are you using a 120 film with a 220 insert?

The motorized winder is unlikely to do anything that manual winding will not. I would suggest getting the film as tight as possible around the insert before loading it back into the camera body. If all else fails, seek a technician.
    In other worlds he has
    darker days, blacker swells.
    Strokes that mix noir revenge
    on waves of grey.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I would say that I was a little back focused. I was using 120 film with a 120 insert. I was shooting hand held which may also have been a factor. Normally I would use a tripos, but the location didn't lend itself to that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have the 645 Super, so my experience may not apply. But, in my case the focusing screen was not seated properly. (They are interchangeable on the super. Dunno about the 1000S.). It was slightly out of plane, and the focus was off.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks, I will check it out. And, yes, they are interchangeable.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hello Graham;
    I have a 1000s also, some points to consider. Look at the focusing screen, a split image screen might be the best for failing eyesight. Also check the flocking inside the mirror chamber, also the mirror lockup lever. If the film was not loaded correctly, the advance lever would not work. Best regards, Steven.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks Steven, I do have the split image screen which is a big help. I will check on the other items you mentioned. The film advance lever is working properly so it's probably just my focusing technique. I have just ordered a magnifier which should help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ambaker View Post
    I have the 645 Super, so my experience may not apply. But, in my case the focusing screen was not seated properly. (They are interchangeable on the super. Dunno about the 1000S.). It was slightly out of plane, and the focus was off.
    This is usually my first thought for a used camera or one that you haven't verified via sharp images with some combo in the kit.
    Unless you load the film backwards, film loading usually doesn't effect sharpness in my experiences.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin