Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,396   Online: 1002

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the replies! This camera is relatively new to me, so I have yet to get any lenses other than the 90mm. I'm thinking about a 65, but those are a little pricey. I have a very small bag that will fit just the camera and grip, but my next purchase is probably a second back or a grip that actually fits. (I believe I have the 645 grip - it works, but the focus knob doesn't let you get your fingers all the way around it).

Since I posted, I've taken a few walks with it and also taken it to the local flea market, using only the grip to carry it. It's really not nearly as bad as I thought. Sure, it's no FM2n, but I feel like the negatives are worth it.

I'll be flying, but I'm flying light. Probably just cameras, clothing, and maybe a laptop. Glad to know I'm not completely crazy for considering it.
    In other worlds he has
    darker days, blacker swells.
    Strokes that mix noir revenge
    on waves of grey.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Consider one or more of the small attachable accessory cases for an additional back or film. Minimal cost, size and weight.
    If you don't have an external strap to mount it on sew it to the bag.
    Think case for dixxicam kind o' thing.
    Most of the grips for Mamiya are interchangable, I've only seen one that didn't line up with the shutter release on any of their cameras.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I take my Pro-S with me for any travel of significance (i usually live in Europe and travel internationally alot).

As to lenses, I bring along both my 180mm and 65mm lenses. I wonder if a 90mm would be a good, single lens option, but either way both my lenses come along. I have a 5mm neoprene case i use to swap in/out of.

I've just bought another back because there have been too many times i wish i had an option for color (i typically load b&w). I'd forget about the grip - i have one and i *never* use it (i do have an excellent strap - a Tamrac N45 brown suede - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...k_Release.html).

I would absolutely ensure i had a second back (that worked!!!) to bring along. I also bring my CF tripod (Feisol CT3342) w/Manfrotto 496 RC2 ballhead.

I take this kit up mountains, when traveling and generally anytime i think i'll have time for photography.

Shooter
    Large Format
    A second back is, a must if you want to switch from color to b/w mid roll, or even load a higher ASA film for any indoor or shaded areas handheld.

Even when carrying my RZ with one lens I always carry a 2nd back with a different emulsion.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    You're not crazy for traveling with the RB67 - I've taken my 5x7 and my 5x12 to Argentina and California, respectively. I would find the 90 a bit restrictive for doing architecture/streetscape because it isn't wide enough. Also, having been spoiled by the ability with large format to do in-camera perspective corrections, I do find the RB a little maddening in that regard - there is a perspective control accessory for it that works with most lenses, I believe, but it's a big, heavy, and expensive accessory. And then there's the 75mm T/S lens, which is another ballgame altogether. But this is where the pixels-that-must-not-be-named come in handy if you cannot shoot large format and find perspective distortion frustrating.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I took my RZ hiking in Yosemite last winter with a Lowe Pro backpack. I'm pushing 50 and it was tough. If you're a young buck and in shape, you might be able to do it. Extra backs are always helpful especially if you want to shoot 2 types of film. I learned that a prism is not worth the weight. One thing I haven't tried is getting on and off busses with a loaded pack.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would save up and buy the 50 mm lens. It is awesome indeed. Super super sharp and you'll take wonderful architecture shots with it. It's my favorite lens in my RB system.

I would take two backs, waist level finder, 90mm and 50mm and a grip and B&W filters and I'd bring the hood for the 50mm lens and also use it for the 90mm to cut down on extra bulk in the bag. But also I shoot mine without a grip and because I have the strap that fits the camera body I sometimes toss the grip and just cradle the body with left hand and focus and shoot with right. The camera's so heavy it's really hard to get camera shake with a normal or wide lens even down to 1/30th. I can't remember the last time I put mine on a tripod and I'm not joking. It is too heavy though for any serious long term hand holding though. I thought people were crazy when they told me that. Then one day I went out on a hike, camera on grip, no strap. I had to hold the grip the whole time. My arm almost came off.. well, that's what it felt like. So I'd seriously consider tossing the grip in place of a strap.

Bear in mind you're asking opinions and those come from experience which is quite a subjective thing.
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Last year I travelled for four weeks with a three-lens Hasselblad kit and a three-lens EOS-1v kit (plus an old '50s stereo camera). Using the Hassy around city streets, etc, was no trouble, so there's no reason to be shy of taking a medium format camera for that purpose. However the weight with everything loaded in the backpack was a killer for extended periods. It was a big strain on the shoulders and neck. It was awesome to have those options on my trip (it was a "photography" holiday after all), but I came back vowing that I'd never carry that much gear on holidays again.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Fender - you should invest in a proper backpack for your kit then. I had a Hassy kit with me when I went to Spain that consisted of 3 backs, two bodies (500c/m, SWC/M), three lenses (four if you count the SWC/M), meter, film, AND an Xpan. It was enough to get me tired at the end of the day, but with a properly aligned backpack, no one part of me was any more sore than another (well, except possibly my feet from all the walking around on medieval streets in places like Toledo and Segovia).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Last fall I took three trips overseas and each time I carried a MF camera around my neck on the plane. I also had a LowePro Trekker with my digital stuff in it but there just wasn't room for the big MF camera in my bag and I wasn't about to put it in a suitcase so I just hung it around my neck. I didn't take my RB on any of those trips but on the first trip I took the Mamiya Press Super 23. On the next trip I took the Bronica GS-1 (and promptly forgot it under my seat when I got off the plane!) And on the third trip I took the Bronica C. In each case I was glad to have the camera in my hands at all times and not have to worry about it getting banged around. And yes, I did get my GS-1 back! If I were taking my RB I'm not sure if I would opt for the grip or not. It does make it easier to hold but also adds weight. I think I would skip the prism finder and just go old school with the WLF. My only caution is that you always return the focus to infinity when carrying it around, to protect the bellows.
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin