Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,103   Posts: 1,612,707   Online: 845

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Fender - you should invest in a proper backpack for your kit then. I had a Hassy kit with me when I went to Spain that consisted of 3 backs, two bodies (500c/m, SWC/M), three lenses (four if you count the SWC/M), meter, film, AND an Xpan. It was enough to get me tired at the end of the day, but with a properly aligned backpack, no one part of me was any more sore than another (well, except possibly my feet from all the walking around on medieval streets in places like Toledo and Segovia).
    This was my loaded backpack on the holiday I was talking about. In addition to what you see here there was film and other odds and ends, plus a water bottle in the side pocket. The backpack is a Loweprow Flipside 400AW. I think what may have contributed was that I wasn't "match fit" with the backpack, and after getting sore with it on day one I never really had a break from it to recover. It really was too much weight to comfortably carry all day every day though. And next time I'll have to make the tough choice between the awesome medium-format quality of the Hasselblad and the awesome versatility of the EOS-1v.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yeah - too much stuff. I think you'd be better off with just one format - it might be just me but I have a hard time switching back and forth between different sizes and styles of camera. When I go out to shoot, I want to be able to think about what I'm shooting and not be worrying about where to adjust this or that function on the camera I happen to have in my hands now.

I have a LowePro backpack that has not only padded shoulder-straps but also a waist belt that is padded, AND the height of the shoulder straps attachment point is adjustable, so it can be fitted to your size/shape. It was a godsend. I still have it around because I have smaller format gear, but I don't use it much because A: I mostly shoot large format now and those cameras just don't fit well in it, and B: those padded shoulder and waist straps are bulky and tend to take up a lot of space when you're not wearing it, just carrying it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You made a really good point about switching back and forth between formats and cameras. At home I almost always only take one format with me on outings, because I can always go back at a later date with another camera. It was a different matter when I was travelling to the other side of the world knowing that I may never be back in those particular locations again. In the heat of the moment I felt like I had to maximise the experience by capturing everything with all the different formats I had on hand. I would have been better off sticking to one format because you're right about it being a pain to constantly switch back and forth. But I know that no matter which one I chose there'd be many occasions when I would be wishing I had the other.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Try this as an exercise sometime - go out and shoot with only one lens. A fixed focal length lens. Sure, you find a lot of shots that you can't take, but you start to learn to shoot with what you have, and you'll come back with more great images than you expected. When I took the Xpan with me to Spain along with the Hassy, I ended up shooting maybe half a roll with it and I've never printed those images. I shot maybe 20 rolls with the Hassy. I've printed many of those, and even exhibited them and sold one or two along the way. You get used to that feeling of wishing you had another system with you, and learn to get past it. For each image you do get that the other system wouldn't have allowed you to make, you lose ten that would have been at least as good because you were taking too much time switching between formats, cameras and lenses. On my last trip to San Francisco, I brought the 5x7 and I think 4 lenses. As an exercise, I took just two of them with me (the 110mm f8 W.A. Dagor and the 240mm f4.5 Heliar) on one of my night shoots. I ended up using the 110 on maybe 2 shots. The rest were with the Heliar. The next night, I took just the Heliar. When I drove to the Purisima Creek redwood grove to shoot, I took the whole compliment, but again I really only used the 240, and MAYBE the 110. And I'm pretty sure I got more keepers that way. I know there were a lot of "street" photos I could have taken if I had a smaller camera, but that wasn't my goal on that trip. You're best served setting a photo goal for your trip, and then planning your equipment around that. Or at least planning a goal for the day's shooting, and just go out with the camera that will best fit that day's goal.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin