Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,638   Online: 896

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Travelling with RB67

Over the summer I will be going to germany for a few weeks, and I'm bringing my cameras, of course. For just basic everyday walkaround I have a suitable 35mm, but I wanted to bring my RB67 for architecture and cityscape photography. I have a bracket grip and a strap, but is there anything else I should bring? Are extra backs really helpful?
    In other worlds he has
    darker days, blacker swells.
    Strokes that mix noir revenge
    on waves of grey.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would not take anything that adds weight, grips, extra backs, extra lenses. Only take things you are going to be used. Only reason to take an extra back is if you what to have one roll of bw going and one roll of color.

I personally travel with the rolleicord III and bw film. I love the simple setup.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I wouldn't take the grip except that the camera is pretty difficult to carry without it. Also weighs less than a tripod.
    In other worlds he has
    darker days, blacker swells.
    Strokes that mix noir revenge
    on waves of grey.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I hope you have strong arms, after a while the RB67 will wear you out.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Take it. Take at least one extra back. If anything goes wrong with the back you have, you'll have a spare. Get a small hand cart to carry your bag and lenses. That's right, lenses. A good tripod with a solid quick release and you can sling it over your shoulder. I'm over 60 and when I'm not lugging my RB around I'm shlepping 4X5 gear. Go to a gym and do some upper body work. Above all, don't wuss out, have fun, suffer a little for your art. Besides, those Mamiya lenses are incredible and when you get back, sore muscles aside, you'll have some great negatives you won't get if you leave it behind.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Forgot the most important thing, the "cool" factor.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I'd only add making sure your body and lenses are well-cushioned against impact. None of the RB stuff is light, so small drops and crashes can really damage stuff.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    I'd only add making sure your body and lenses are well-cushioned against impact. None of the RB stuff is light, so small drops and crashes can really damage stuff.
    Including toes
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am able to fit a body, WLF, 2 lenses, 2 backs, light meter and film into a smallish bag. Tripod fits in suitcase. Took this to australia last year, worked great!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You didn't say if you flying or driving. If flying, the extra weight might cost for baggage and extra shlepping can get tiring. Of course once you get there, if you have a car, you can leave it in the trunk and shoot mainly from the car or short trips from it.

I flew to California from NYC. Rented a car and hit Yosemite, Monterrey, San Francisco, Lake Tahoe, etc. Since I was shooting from the road basically, the extra weight wasn't a problem (except when flying with all the other baggage). I also cruised the Alaskan Inland Sea. That was also fairly convenient because you had everything in your cabin to take out on short jaunts or just use on the ship.

However, I don't think I'd take the whole setup again preferring small cameras now for traveling.

Wahtever you decide, have a nice trip.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin