Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,224   Posts: 1,532,563   Online: 1046

Shooter
    Large Format

Did I mess up these shots?

I was by the water today taking some shots of seaweed on velvia with my RZ. I took my time and remembered to set the floating element on my 65mm lens for each shot. I switched lenses, took a few shots with my 180, moved positions again and remounted my 65mm. I was in a rush to get the next 3 shots due to high tide coming in and my feet were already getting wet so i forgot to set the floating element on my lens correctly. Two shots were focused at 3 feet and the other 20 feet, both at f/22. The lens was set at 1.5 feet. This was my last roll and I can't reshoot today or for the next 2 months till I make it over here again.

So how bad did I mess up? Will it be noticeable?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mostly, it will affect the sharpness in the corners.

You probably will have to struggle to notice any difference with the shots focused at 3 feet.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Did you mess up your shots? Pretty dumb asking us.
    Get them processed and then you can give us the answer.
    Anything else is guesswork.
    Leica M6,
    Bessa R4A,
    Rolleiflex(s) 2.8/80, 4/135, 4/55.
    Nikkormat FTn
    Fuji X10

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh Youdale View Post
    Pretty dumb asking us.
    Pretty dumb huh? Well remind me not to ask you any questions, or answer any of yours. I guess this forum isn't for asking questions, my bad.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's a great question. I've often done the same thing and have yet to really notice any issues. However, I haven't made any prints bigger than 8 X 10 yet. Please post the results after you process and print the negatives.
    Bachelor of Fine Arts and Bachelor of Arts: Journalism - University of Arkansas 2014

Canon A-1, Canon AE-1, Canon Canonet GIII 17, Argus 21, Rolleicord Va, Mamiya RB67, Voigtländer Bessa

http://darkroom317.deviantart.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Did you mess up, sure; it is going to be different than intended.

Will it ruin the result, IDK; I'd say that depends on how particular you (or if it was a commercial shoot, your customer) are about the result.

My guess is that the odds of ending up with a "happy accident" are as high as ending up with a tosser. You may even find that you like the effect and want to apply it to other subjects.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    Pretty dumb huh? Well remind me not to ask you any questions, or answer any of yours. I guess this forum isn't for asking questions, my bad.

Mr Leigh has a tendency to speak down to people. Ignore him! there's a setting that you can use to eliminate any contributions(?) he makes. =o)

It's in general settings, left hand column 2/3 the way down "edit ignore settings"

Generally the effect of not setting the floating element is minimal. As someone above said, "mainly in the corners". It's pretty subtle but visible when you look for it. Set the camera up with a subject that has detail in the corners and adjust the floater from one extreme to the other and you should see the focus change. I doubt that you would see a difference in the center but only corners.
    Last edited by John Koehrer; 04-29-2012 at 02:54 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin