Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,316   Posts: 1,536,743   Online: 1055

Shooter
    35mm

Yashicamat 124G CLA - where?

Hi everyone,

I'm really beginning to love my Yashicamat 124G after taking it out for a spin. The problem is that it needs a CLA as I think the lens has some stuff on it (fungus?) and there's some quirks about it with the shutter button. Curious if there's a good place I can send it to for a really good CLA? I'm in Canada!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mark Hama Ltd.

He used to build 'em new at the factory. (See photo at the above link.)

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Regina Canada (sounds more fun than it is)
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Beau Photo is near Granville Island and could take care of you - they might do the work themselves or send it off to their repair company. I use Chang's Photo in Saskatoon which takes great care of my Yashica Mat 124G; Precision Camera in Winnipeg will not handle them at all, as they cannot get parts. However, as Ken says, nobody is better than Mark Hama.
    Once a photographer is convinced that the camera can lie and that, strictly speaking, the vast majority of photographs are "camera lies," inasmuch as they tell only part of a story or tell it in a distorted form, half the battle is won. Once he has conceded that photography is not a "naturalistic" medium of rendition and that striving for "naturalism" in a photograph is futile, he can turn his attention to using a camera to make more effective pictures.

Andreas Feininger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    May I suggest a short trip over the border for you.
    City of Spokane Valley, WA 99212 - USA
    Ph# - 509-892-6645

http://www.alpinecamera.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm surprised that you don't know about the best tech in town if you shoot film here in Vancouver. Horst Wenzel is the man for anything film, he has been fixing cameras here in Vancouver for a really long time. He used to own Vancam back in the day, but now works out of his basement in the Dunbar area. He always does a great, thorough job and his prices are very fair. His # is 604-263-5820. No point in sending anything out when Horst is around!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's a suggestion for folks further east in Canada: Camtech Photo in Hamilton, Ontario. They have CLA'd a handful of cameras for me, including a Yashica Mat LM. Their work is really good, and very reasonably priced.

http://camtechphoto.com/
    My other camera is a Pentax

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I sent Mark Hama on my yashica TLR. It was a beater, ugly as all get out with a sticky shutter. It came back looking brand new and works like a charm. I love that camera. He even gave a warranty on his work.
    My Photography Site www.lofgreenimages.com and My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I sent Hama $149 to get my Fujica V2 working last June and haven't heard a thing since. I suspect the money is gone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You made the same claim in my thread about a CLA by Mr. Hama of my Canonet QL17 GIII, so I have the same question for you as I asked the fellow with the Freestyle shipping charge problem:

What did Mr. Hama say when you called and asked him about the delay? And how long ago was the last call made?

Ken

P.S. My Canonet now looks, feels and performs like brand new. The final price matched the original estimate. Time in shop was about three weeks. And I sought and received positive references from fellow APUGers prior to sending the camera.
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +1 Ken. I had an experience with another VERY well regarded camera service person who I thought had forgotten about me. A quick email sorted out that he had missed my PayPal submission in his emails.
    My other camera is a Pentax

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin