Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,813   Posts: 1,581,581   Online: 927

Shooter
    Multi Format

Fuji gw690 users question about shutter leaves

Hi, if there are any gw690 users here, I recently purchased one used (gw690ii), but I was worried about something I noticed on the inner and outer leaf shutter blades. There is one blade bent at the tip outward toward the lens element both at the front and the rear. Is this normal?

The seller said his friends looks just the same way, and the explanation is very logical (designed to prevent binding of the larger blades and guide movement).

I have no personal experience owning or working with large shutters and all my smaller cameras don't have leaves as such.

Any owners of the fuji gw690 or gsw690 please take a look, it would make me feel relived as I spent a fair amount of money on one (part time teacher, and freelance work has been slow). But overall i like this comically sized camera, and would like to put a roll through after this whole bent shutter business is figured out.

Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    This is normal, don't worry.

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Yup, that's normal. Don't worry about it. The shutter on the GW690s is very reliable. Have it serviced every 5000 actuations and the shutter will last for ages.

By the way, you can operate the shutter without film in the camera if you open the back.
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This is done in order for the shutter NOT to foul up. The bent leaf will be the first in and the rest will follow.
    As the others have said, perfectly normal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you all for your responses and it puts my fears to rest. The counter is in the low 300s so hopefully it will run well until 500. It is quite a camera, I can't wait to put a roll through but it's been raining and storming these few days. Thanks again.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    By the way, I have seen comments on the web to the effect that the 5000 number is not some magical moment when the camera will turn into a pumpkin. It was recommended but the chances are that the camera will chug along long afterwards.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hmm, I never noticed the bent leaf on my GW690.

Regarding that shutter counter / service interval, I think it's done more harm than good to the reputation of these cameras. There is nothing inherent in this shutter that demands service at an increased rate over any other leaf shutter. The biggest enemy of leaf shutters is lack of use, so exercising the GW690 regularly is the best thing you could do for it.

I think of that shutter counter in the context of how these cameras were originally intended to be used -- as high volume, group portrait cameras at tourist sites. I imagine that taxi cabs have rigorous services intervals too, because of heavy use. But strict service intervals will let those cars hit 500,000 kilometres. Ditto for the big Fuji's, I think they are built for use and abuse, in a professional setting. When used by an amateur with a very occasional CLA, they should last forever.
    My other camera is a Pentax

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just got to hope there are still parts around to fix it later on. I read that fuji no longer supports models older than the 3rd and final model. Is that true?

Shooter
    35mm
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Newt_on_Swings View Post
    I just got to hope there are still parts around to fix it later on. I read that fuji no longer supports models older than the 3rd and final model. Is that true?
    I contacted Fuji Germany some time ago, they said they'd service my GW690 (first model). But really, you shouldn't worry about it. Fuji recommends servicing the shutter every 500 rolls, some sources say 1000. The camera will not magically stop working once you hit a certain number; according to Fuji, the shutter speeds may become inaccurate and therefore have to be recalibrated.

Just follow the golden rule: if it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    And the sign said, "long haired freaky people need not apply"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's good to hear, fuji is located just across in jersey (I'm in ny) so that's good. That is very sound advice that I like to follow as well.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin