Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,693   Posts: 1,548,966   Online: 785

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    What you posted appears to have vignetting in the corners. Is that an artifact of scanning or is it on the negatives?

Other than that question, it looks great!

Enjoy!
    Last edited by Sirius Glass; 05-02-2012 at 08:40 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I know how you feel. I sent in a Super Ikonta IV which my girl friend gave me for CLA. Ran my first roll and it was just grand. The selenium meter still works too. It's compact and the lens is sharp. Enjoy!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sirius, the vignetting is the camera. It doesn't happen at all apertures, but I never kept close-enough track of it to remember when it goes away. This whole roll was shot at f16 because iso 400 is just a bit too fast for the top speed of 1/300. I'm looking forward to finishing up the panf that's in it now to get a better idea of how other apertures affect it. I'm thinking this camera might work best with iso 100 film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Maniac - this Ikonta has made me look longingly at the Super Ikontas, especially the 534 that was at the end of the line. Somebody has posted some really nice stuff on here using it. Flickr, too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Didn't know what I had

Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    Maniac - this Ikonta has made me look longingly at the Super Ikontas, especially the 534 that was at the end of the line. Somebody has posted some really nice stuff on here using it. Flickr, too.
    My girlfriend handed me a box of old camera gear and I found his dad's old Super Ikonta. I didn't even know how to open the folder. I told Frances that it's a "Rubik's camera" because it was a puzzle to open. When I did, it opened up like a beautiful blooming flower. I found the focusing mechanism was stiff, and didn't know how accurate the shutter is. I sent it in to Essex photo repair for a CLA. I shot with it a couple of weeks ago and made some enlargements. A gorgeous camera. I didn't know it was Zeiss's last Ikonta. From what Frances told me, his dad in the 80's fell into using easier 35mm cameras. I don't think the Japanese 35mm camera lenses aren't as sharp. I've shot with Canon FD lenses for over 30 years and there's no comparison.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's one from a couple years ago. Delta 100 in DD-X, I think, and probably around f5.6 or f8. Notice the absence of vignetting. The high-res version shows wonderful detail in the jewelry.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1012b101002chg.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	329.7 KB 
ID:	50346

Edit to add: I really like the well-mannered bokeh. It just softens into a completely non-distracting blur.
    Last edited by pbromaghin; 05-03-2012 at 10:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    Here's one from a couple years ago. Delta 100 in DD-X, I think, and probably around f5.6 or f8. Notice the absence of vignetting. The high-res version shows wonderful detail in the jewelry.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1012b101002chg.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	329.7 KB 
ID:	50346

Edit to add: I really like the well-mannered bokeh. It just softens into a completely non-distracting blur.
    Maybe it is just me, but I seem to see vignetting in at least 3 of the corners.

But I agree about the rest.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Kinda odd, my Super Ikonta never had issues with vignetting. I'd get out of focus areas in the corners due to the lens design, but never darkened. Hmmmm.

If you do ever find yourself in a position to pick one up with the Tessar, the 6x9 format is AMAZING coming from 35mm and 6x6.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Matt King - I can't decide in this particular case if the darkening in the bottom corners is vignetting or if it is because there are objects there to cause shadow as seen under his cart. If it is vignetting, it is much less pronounced than in the other shots. I haven't shot it enough to know just how it behaves, but the vignetting you see in the OP is about as bad as I've experienced.

Klainmeister - The Super Ikontas really are very different cameras. I would like a 6x9, but I'll need a new enlarger. When you consider the cropping needed for usual print dimensions, the 6x6 is really closer to 645, so that 50% larger negative is closer to effectively double in usable size.

Funny, but at $100 this camera was the cheapest entry that I could find into medium format, so I'll gladly accept it's limitations. It is just too fun to use.
    Last edited by pbromaghin; 05-03-2012 at 05:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here's a shot with my Ikonta. Sometimes, the left edge is darkish.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/maineco...in/photostream

Here's the camera.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/maineco...in/photostream

I think if you can find one for under $300, it's a steal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin