Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,952   Posts: 1,557,967   Online: 1049

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

First color roll after CLA

Here are lab scans of some shots from the first roll of Portra through my Zeiss Ikonta 521/16 after a fresh CLA. All exposures were taken using Mark-I Eyeball Sunny 16 light meter. It's nice to finally know the real shutter speed.

I'd really like some comments and tips for improving the use of this cameras attributes and/or working around its limitations. Of course, the photographer's (lack of) skill is fair game.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 04460002.jpg   04460008.jpg   04460009.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks great!

Jeff

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Did you have a filter on there? I see darkening in the corners.

Those littler cameras are great. My word of advice is to stay between f/8-f/16 for sharpest and opening it up for pictures of people or a somewhat softer look. Getting a fully multicoated filter helps too since those older lenses are prone to flare.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Klainmeister - No filter, but that's a great idea because I have learned to keep far away from the sun and to shade the lens if I can't. Maybe a ND? And in the case of using Portra during the day, it pretty much has to stay around f16 because the fastest shutter speed is between 1/250 and 1/300. Hmmm. An ND might help to bring in a little exposure flexibility too. I wonder if they can be found in Series VI.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, Jeff.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    For daylight, yeah, maybe a nice coated ND would do the trick. I just remember...and lord knows if I still have them lying around.... putting a nice HMC filter on mine and saw a dramatic difference in color, contrast and haze from that camera. Is it the Tessar? At the time, I was using mine for BW with Plus-x and no filter, shooting at f/8 or so with beautifully smooth skins and just enough center sharpness to give a really effective portrait. I then started filtering and took it backpacking and have a shot, which I will post whence I get off work, that was taken with Velvia 50 and it's quite amazing actually. I love these cameras.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tessar? Sometimes I wish it were, but I don't shoot much wide open where it shines. This is the simpler Novar. A UV filter would probably be a very good thing, so that's been added to my list for the Denver swap meet this weekend.

I did shoot a roll of Velvia last fall and it was pretty disastrous. I had thought the lens just didn't handle color properly. From this test it's pretty obvious it was the photographer's fault.

The first B&W roll (Tmax 400) is waiting for time to process it. It has shots comparing the same scene with no filter vs green, yellow and red. I hope it won't be too grievous a violation to include a digital color shot for reference.

It has Pan F in it now so there will be some tests with wider apertures in the future.
    Last edited by pbromaghin; 05-02-2012 at 03:07 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The Novar is still quite a fine lens. I just wouldn't expect miracles from it. I'd love to see the filter test.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pbromaghin View Post
    I did shoot a roll of Velvia last fall and it was pretty disastrous. I had thought the lens just didn't handle color properly. From this test it's pretty obvious it was the photographer's fault.
    I've loved most Velvia shots that most people have shared on flickr. However, I wonder if for each of those there are 35 other shots that got binned. Velvia is, as every posting everywhere has warned, absolutely intolerant of misexposure (underexposure especially). I have tried only a handful of rolls (in meterless cameras, which isn't helping) and never got it right. Probably I should either give up, or go burn through a furlong of Velvia to learn it. It doesn't seem conducive to the middle ground of occasional dabbling. I am keen because one oft-stated benefit of Velvia is that its outrageous oversaturation compensates for the undersaturated color rendering of these old uncoated lenses, to end you back at pleasant color. (I have a similar ZI folder that would benefit.)

--Dave

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Look about the scene long and hard, realize the middle gray and meter it. Now, meter the highest, brightest spot in the scene. If it more than 3-4 stops above the middle, adjust one down or more accordingly.
    K.S. Klain

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin