Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,053   Online: 796

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    Good for you j-dogg!

Hey you get 16 shots per roll, you don't need additional inserts.
    Just a heads up - the Mamiya 645 gives 15 shots per roll, rather than 16.

Or 30 shots, if you shoot 220 (and have the inserts for it).

And a further heads up - 6 x 4.5 slides look great when you have a projector for them
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    Humm, interesting perspective. I expected the 645 to mostly supplant 35mm but it hasn't. Too big and too heavy for that (and, to be fair, right now I only have the one lens where in 35mm I have two excellent Series 1 zooms covering 28-105 and 70-210, a fast 50mm prime, and a couple of cheap slow 35-70 or so zooms in 35mm.) I do like it, and we'll see how I feel when I pick up a couple more lenses, but right now given that I'm limited to 80mm in either case I'm more likely to reach for my Yashicamat when I want to shoot medium format, even though it does mean I also carry my Luna Pro, unless I need to shoot faster or to do rapid film changes, mid roll if needed. Even if I didn't have the interchangeable backs I still find loading film into the Yashica a fiddly PITA. Loading the 645 inserts is much easier.
    Yeah the 70-210 series 1 is dope.......got one for my Nikon the 28-105 is top notch too.

as much as I like it, the 645 has me sold as my 35mm upgrade.......when i finish my last roll in the nikon I'll put it up here in the Classifieds. It's got 2 or 3 shots left before the roll is done. If I'm going to shoot film and go through the trouble of developing it and manually calculating exposure I may as well do it with something bigger than 35mm, hell I could see myself doing wet plates or large format at this point.

35mm is the gateway drug, that leads to much harder formats. Lol
    5x7 Eastman-Kodak kit, under the knife for a bit
    4x5 Graphic View / Schneider 180 / Ektar 127
    RB67 Pro S / 50 4.5 / 90 3.8 / 180 4.5 / WLF / prism finder / polaback
    Random 35mm stuff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well I DO shoot large format. So maybe that's part of my reasoning. If I want to go big, and I have time and energy to carry a fair amount of gear, out comes the Linhof and tripod.

I also like to project 35mm slides, and don't have a medium format projector - yet. If I want one I should get it soon while I can still shoot the film.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Matt: My 645 AFDIII gives me 16 images. All the time. I enjoyed reading this discussion since I am a newbe to MF.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorDad View Post
    Matt: My 645 AFDIII gives me 16 images. All the time. I enjoyed reading this discussion since I am a newbe to MF.
    Welcome To APUG Dad !

Enjoy The Weekend !

Ron

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by j-dogg View Post
    Yeah I love this, I've already taken 4 shots with it and plan on finishing the roll this week.

Since this is my first time with MF, couple things. F$&%#$& it's heavy, it weighs about as much as my Nikkormat FTn with a Vivitar Series 1 70-210 f3.5 on it. It's HUGE. Makes my Canon 5D with battery grip look like a toy.

The left grip takes some time getting used to. I've shot SLR's in 135 for a long time and the business end is on the right side. Though it's MF I have a rough idea of their 35mm equivalents, the 150 I believe is close to about 90-93mm 35mm-equivalent.

How wide does the 35mm come out to be? I want to get a decent wide, the 80 1.9 (which is the 50mm equivalent) and maybe something with more reach like the 210 or 300. Not ruling out A glass, which seems to be their equivalent of Canon L glass (of which I own a few) the 150 2.8 looks like that could be great for portraits.

Also how accurate is the light meter? It seems to be close to my 5D which is dead-nuts on. And my noob MF question for the day....are the exposures supposed to be the same as 35mm? I find at 400 ISO a shot that should be a 1/60th is like 1/100 or 1/125 on my digital. I'll have to check it again, I know my digital Rebel has a smaller sensor and it's always running a higher shutter speed than my 5D which would make sense on the 120 if true.

I cracked up when you said it was heavy. I know exactly how you feel. I use the RB67 as my main camera, and have since purchased a Fuji GS645s. I LOVE that Fuji. A bit plasticky, but that lens is sharp !.

congrats on your acquisition. Medium Format is fun. I love the large negative.

Greg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by j-dogg View Post
    That's a steal!!
    " A loving and caring heart is the beginning of all knowledge " ~ Thomas Carlyle ~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumalite View Post
    That's a steal!!
    And a L-O-N-G 12 hours.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MajorDad View Post
    Point taken - please replace my statement with "Just a heads up - the Mamiya 645 manual focus bodies all give 5 shots per roll, rather than 16."

Otherwise I'd say - welcome to APUG MajorDad!
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Hummm....not surprised the MF cameras are heavy.....I'm glad I lift as I don't think MF cameras were designed for little people I've only seen a big camera that I can remember once...a few weeks ago I went to an art fair and one of the fine art photographers brought his camera for people to see. I'm not sure what it is but I got an image of it that I included below.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	restonfestivalsm-8.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	266.2 KB 
ID:	52666

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin