Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,961   Posts: 1,523,132   Online: 955

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Mamiya C330S body not working properly with cable release

Just took receipt of a rather worn C330 Pro S body and 80mm lens this afternoon, got them from Columbus Camera on e***. Went out to burn a test roll or two, and after some fumbling with the new cam, I found that once set up to try a close-up, and the camera locked down on a tripod, it didn't want to work with a cable release . This is a LONG-THROW(like 1.25" throw at full extension) release, so that wasn't the problem, but if I pressed down on the release lever a little more, it tripped the lens. Not very nice IMO... Once pushed past a certain point too, the lever release locks up too, so you have to manually trip the lever on the lens. EVEN MORE MADDENING .

So, still need to develop the test rolls from this afternoon's shooting in the front yard, but wanted to check and see if anyone else had ever run into this problem before.

thanks

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Which lever are you pressing down on?

Any chance that the shutter release lock is catching a bit?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm pushing the long lever with the black triangle-shaped thingy on it. It makes direct contact with the release armature on the shutter. But when using a cable release, it doesn't push it down far enough. Could adding a few layers of gaffer's tape aid that in working better?

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think I am confused.

To attach a cable release to the camera, you should be screwing it into the cable release socket in the lower shutter release button.

Are you attaching the cable release in some other way?
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, I'm screwing it into the cable release socket . Its just that with a cable release, it isn't getting the arm down enough on the shutter to release it... I just put some tape on the release arm, and it seems to be working much better now, so almost problem solved. I need to find a more durable solution than tape

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm still confused. Has to be the shutter lock sticking slightly, unless you don't have the lens assy mounted correctly, or it's a damaged shutter trip lever on the lens. Other possibility may be dirty internals on the body.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Iv'e been using Mamiya C TLRs for more than twenty years, and I think the problem could be your cable release, in that the camera needs one that when the plunger is pressed a long length of the central core needs to come out to trip the shutter, I had this problem when I first tried to use the cameras with a short cable release meant for 35 mm cameras I suggest you look for one as I have described and try it, the one I use is about two feet long.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 05-16-2012 at 06:14 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I had the same problem with the cable release which worked fine with 35 mm gear. The outer sheath just wasn't stiff enough. New and expensive Nikon cable now works like a dream.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Benjiboy and Jojje got it right! I have run into the same problem in the past w/the plunger being to short for the camera.
    2bits

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It would be nice to know if what I suggested did the trick.
    Ben

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin