Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,208   Posts: 1,531,921   Online: 1122

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Fujica GW690 - Space Between Frames

I've owned my GW690 (model I) for a while now, and I really like it. It's not tiny, it's not huge, it feels right in my hands, and the Fujinon 90mm is a great lens.

But I've noticed that the spacing between frames is uneven, varying between 7/16 of an inch and 1/4 of an inch, with the average a little over 5/16. When you're cutting up a strip of negatives, and you're trying to locate the exact middle of a 1/4 inch space...

For those of you who own a camera in this series, is this normal, or is this something I should try to have fixed?

TIA!
    "What drives man to create is the compulsion to, just once in his life, comprehend and record the pure, unadorned, unvarnished truth. Not some of it; all of it."

- Fred Picker

Shooter
    Medium Format
    My GW690 was overhauled by Fuji Canada in 2007 and had about 40 rolls through it when I bought it. Frame spacing is about what you describe- variable. It seems that being slow and steady with each winding leads to more consistent spacing, but honestly i haven't done serious testing of this. It does seem to be more erratic the faster and more distracted I am when winding.

As long as I don't get overlap, I will avoid another overhaul. I would suggest being more consistent with your winding, and wait for more reasons to get an overhaul?
    Last edited by Dan Daniel; 05-19-2012 at 04:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for letting me know it's not just me, Dan.

It's not that big of a deal, but if the space between frames were to get smaller than 1/4 inch, it would be. Guess I'll try to wind the next roll slowly and evenly, and see if it makes any difference.
    "What drives man to create is the compulsion to, just once in his life, comprehend and record the pure, unadorned, unvarnished truth. Not some of it; all of it."

- Fred Picker

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    If it makes you feel better, the one I used did the same thing...until I dropped it down the Grand Canyon. After that, it's been spot on. Go figure?
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just measured a roll that is now drying between the first 7 frames they are at 6/16th inch the last is 1/4th inch.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't have that camera but recently got the Fujica GS645 Professional and frame spacing varies from 6.5mm to 8mm.
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    If it makes you feel better, the one I used did the same thing...until I dropped it down the Grand Canyon. After that, it's been spot on. Go figure?
    Something tells me that a trip to the Fuji repair shop in New Jersey would cost a lot less, but a trip to the Grand Canyon would be a lot more fun!

Sounds like the variable spacing issue is pretty prevalent. Guess I'll just learn to live with it, though I've now seen a space as small as 1/8th inch. That's cutting it pretty close! (pun intended)

- Fred Picker

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think I read in the past that users of these larger cameras have to really make sure the paper leader is very taught in the back before closing. Take out all the slack by putting pressure on the paper when you first load.

The other variable is that as the film sits it could loosen up in camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Pretty common with lots of roll film cameras. My Fujis do this and they have since new. So has my RZ and most other 120 cameras I've used. With no sprockets I think it's to be expected to some degree. Unless they overlap I wouldn't worry about it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When I bought my 6x9 Fuji rangefinder, here is what the previous owner told me:

“The only tip I have is when you are advancing the film, do it with care, with love. With any medium format camera when you advance the film you are moving a very big piece of film and if you move your thumb smoothly you will get the best image spacing. If you advance it to aggressively you will get overlapping. That camera will occasionally overlap but not enough to ruin any images.”

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin