Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,902   Posts: 1,584,545   Online: 1024

Page 11 of 31 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415161721 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Is this the cameras as fashion accessories thread?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    No harm, no foul. (or is it fowl?)... This is APUG. Perhaps I remember the days when a camera was a tool in the eyes of a serious photographer. A 'cool' camera? Givemeabreak. I shoot what works for me.
    1.) The only camera I have bought new 1985 Nikon FM2.
    2.) Mamiya rb67 Pro with about 7 lens, both waist and prism finders.
    3.) Borrowed Mamiya 645 (borrowed from my daughter whom I gave it to).
    4.) Mamiya C220 65mm lens.
    5.) Various 3x4 and 4x5 Speed and Crowns.
    6.) 3x4 Graplex
    7.) 8x10 Deardorff.

Any 'cool' cameras in the lot?
    An 8x10 Deardorff is mega beyond cool! Drool worthy, in fact.

I find the rest pretty cool too, but particularly the Graphics, the Graphlex and the Mamiya. Love TLRs and press cameras. But that's just me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    An 8x10 Deardorff is mega beyond cool! Drool worthy, in fact.

I find the rest pretty cool too, but particularly the Graphics, the Graphlex and the Mamiya. Love TLRs and press cameras. But that's just me.
    It isn't medium format though. And, to be truly ultimately cool, the Deardorff must be mounted on a wood tripod and be fitted with a Dagor (preferably German version) lens.
    They're a pretty good chick magnet, too - they don't attract the nutty ones like a Harley does.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    It isn't medium format though. And, to be truly ultimately cool, the Deardorff must be mounted on a wood tripod and be fitted with a Dagor (preferably German version) lens.
    They're a pretty good chick magnet, too - they don't attract the nutty ones like a Harley does.
    Truebut...

The 3x4 Graphics and the Mamiya are MF and pretty cool. Any TLR or Graphic is cool just by being a TLR or Graphic.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Truebut...

The 3x4 Graphics and the Mamiya are MF and pretty cool. Any TLR or Graphic is cool just by being a TLR or Graphic.
    The FM2 aint bad neither.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rolls Eyes...

YOU might think they are cool but I bought them because they are what works for me. They are tools.

And the Deardorff sits on a Bogen with a Gitzo3 head. Cool? Who cares?

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    How do you accessorize when you're heading out to shoot? No white before Memorial Day, of course. Anyone wear a beret, or is that more appropriate for 35mm street photographers? Who wears a photo vest? Any suggestions for coordinating shoes and camera bag? What about changing the camera leather to match shoes? I'm looking for camera leathers that are interchangeable - I don't really want separate camera bodies for every possible outfit!

Shooter
    35mm
    Ultimately the coolest camera is the one which was laid in the fridge sometime, or in a wine cellar. To preserve the coolness factor a thermal vest is advised.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Now you have a long list of suggestions; I agree, much depends of your notion of coolness!
    May I suggest: Reflex Korelle (made in Dresden 1935, probably the very first medium format SLR; hard to get but not totally impossible; just wish mine hade a more reliable shutter, needs some CLA)
    Then we have the hold bunch of folders (not hard to get), at least some would fit any idéa of "coolness": my favourite is a Zeiss Super Ikonta, 6x,6 with Tessar 3,5/75mm, with coupled rangfinder; not just cool, also really SUPER! As to sharpness, I can't really see any significant difference between this Zeiss Tessar lens and the Zeiss Planar 2,8/80mm to my Hasselbald.
    But when it comes to people looking at you, I would recommend a HB 500 EL(X or later)
    Good luck with the "cool factor"!
    /Bertil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Truebut...

Actually, Graphics of any format were considered medium format in the old old days. Apparently, the film size was not the point, there were seemingly a million different roll film sizes, but handholdability that was the deciding factor. If it had to be on a tripod it was large format, even if it used really small film. Miniature format seemingly used motion picture film. It was only after everything other than 120 roll film was gone that those definitions changed. I have a book from 1960 where they still listed the 4x5 Speed Graphic in the medium format section.

For what it is worth, I think the Speed Graphic and its ilk were considered pack film cameras that could be converted to use other formats: sheet film, film plate, roll film, etc.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin