Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,828   Online: 1101

Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 1519202122232425262728293031 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blockend View Post
    I agree. Medium format cameras were (mostly) studio workhorses. Cool rarely entered the equation, they just had to do what was expected of them. Cool is something you pull out of your pocket and grab the shot - only my 120 folders fit that description. Cool is not carrying something that weighs the same as a small child and belongs on a hefty tripod.
    On re- reading my post it looks very imperious but it really annoys me that the only adjective that many people use is "cool", cool is for teenage hipsters not adults, and cameras are tools for photographers, you never hear a carpenter refer to his tools as "cool"
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know carpenters. I think you'd might.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    On re- reading my post it looks very imperious but it really annoys me that the only adjective that many people use is "cool", cool is for teenage hipsters not adults, and cameras are tools for photographers, you never hear a carpenter refer to his tools as "cool"
    Oddly enough I know an excellent carpenter who refers to some tools - those cleverly created for a very specific purpose - as exactly that.

I wonder if this is an age or subculture related thing? I turned 50 last year but among my friends and associates "cool!" is a common exclamation of appreciation, as well as a common start of a longer description. I've no objection to it and use it a fair amount myself, though not so overly much as some of the younger set seem to do.

I guess you either "get" cool or you don't.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    Haters gonna hate...it's what you do to entertain yer' self I guess....
    Last edited by PKM-25; 03-07-2014 at 05:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow, too cool for cool.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by frank View Post
    Wow, too cool for cool.

.... ice cold?
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I thought you had to be over 50 to understand what "cool" means. I'm sure teenagers have something equivalent today, but since I can't understand a word they're saying, I would recognize it anyway. For awhile, it was "bad".

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Word mutha’s….

My Nikons are ill, 4x5 is Gangsta, Hasselblads are Sick and my M3?.......I ain’t mad at it Yo…
    Last edited by PKM-25; 03-07-2014 at 07:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Having worked with medium format cameras since the seventies, it's challenging to conceive of a large, heavy, squarish optical device design as cool. My fear is people are really asking, 'how does this camera look on me' as opposed to 'how do I carry this around to make pictures smaller cameras can't manage'. As far as jewellery goes, it takes real commitment to carry, say, an RB67 round in the hope of a chance shot, even if people think it looks nice slung on their hip. I admire such cojones, without any wish to go in that direction personally.

If you love nice big negatives, and want to adopt them as a standard, get the lightest medium format camera you can find and leave cool for people who don't mind grooves in their shoulder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not everything is as big and boxy as an RB. The Rolleiflex is elegant and portable and designed to work well in the hand. Hasselblad as well. It clearly was intended to have style and be more than a utilitarian studio box.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin