Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,826   Posts: 1,582,027   Online: 817

Page 26 of 31 FirstFirst ... 16202122232425262728293031 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    Not everything is as big and boxy as an RB. The Rolleiflex is elegant and portable and designed to work well in the hand. Hasselblad as well. It clearly was intended to have style and be more than a utilitarian studio box.
    This.

My wife and I were in New Orleans all last week for Mardis Gras. I shot a roll of a parade in my Yashicamat 124 and got several comments about "nice camera!" from people in the parades, and a couple of throws directed at me in appreciation.

But then even though I like using the WLF even I gave up trying to shoot a parade with one while limited to 12 exposures and slow re-load and went back to 35mm. But people often express appreciation for the 124. (I think it looks "cooler" than the G model, since it has a lot more chrome.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by blockend View Post
    I agree. Medium format cameras were (mostly) studio workhorses. Cool rarely entered the equation, they just had to do what was expected of them. Cool is something you pull out of your pocket and grab the shot - only my 120 folders fit that description. Cool is not carrying something that weighs the same as a small child and belongs on a hefty tripod.
    Cool is whatever someone thinks it is. Cool to one is uncool to another. And that's cool.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by benjiboy View Post
    cool is for teenage hipsters not adults
    Who did they learn it from? "Cool" has been used that way for over half a century. So hey- it's cool, man!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Who did they learn it from? "Cool" has been used that way for over half a century.
    Yeah, 'cool' was definitely out of vogue when I was a teenager.

I can't even understand teenagers these days. Their response to this thread would be along the lines of:

"y u evn want a flim camera brrah? ma NOKIA is totez dopez brah 40 megaapixlz man"
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's sick!
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fretlessdavis View Post
    I can't even understand teenagers these days. Their response to this thread would be along the lines of:

"y u evn want a flim camera brrah? ma NOKIA is totez dopez brah 40 megaapixlz man"
    It gets worse. I've been told that school districts have now ceased teaching students how to write. Meaning handwritten cursive. They are now only being taught simple block letters. Keyboards are the brave new world. At least until gestures render those obsolete by next weekend.

That's not a joke, either. My wife recently told of a supervisor at her job who handed a list of handwritten instructions to a young employee. The exasperated response was, "I can't read that!" And it's not because that young employee was illiterate.

If we are not careful, technology will end up regressing us all back into the primordial soup from whence we sprang...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Nadvornick View Post
    It gets worse. I've been told that school districts have now ceased teaching students how to write. Meaning handwritten cursive. They are now only being taught simple block letters. Keyboards are the brave new world. At least until gestures render those obsolete by next weekend.

That's not a joke, either. My wife recently told of a supervisor at her job who handed a list of handwritten instructions to a young employee. The exasperated response was, "I can't read that!" And it's not because that young employee was illiterate.

If we are not careful, technology will end up regressing us all back into the primordial soup from whence we sprang...

Ken
    I know... it's scary. What's even worse, is how infrequently I meet someone that's under 20 that actually knows how to type properly. I think most teens now can punch out a message on a smartphone touchscreen faster than they can type...

I don't really blame the kids much. My generation seems to have the 'digital babysitter' mentality. I see kids as young as 10 with iPhones now.
    New-ish convert to film.
    Pentax MX for 35mm
    Bronica ETRS for 645

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    Word mutha’s….

My Nikons are ill, 4x5 is Gangsta, Hasselblads are Sick and my M3?.......I ain’t mad at it Yo…
    word yo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fretlessdavis View Post
    Yeah, 'cool' was definitely out of vogue when I was a teenager.
    So 'cool' was uncool...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think this camera which I am using right now in the scene before you is pretty "cool"...
    "I'm the freak that shoots film. God bless the freaks!" ~ Mainecoonmaniac ~

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin