Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,894   Posts: 1,520,881   Online: 1103

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Allen Friday View Post
    The Hipster vote goes to the Diana, one step cooler than the Holga.
    Vintage Diana, not the new ones.

But I guess it does kinda come down to who you are trying to impress. Hasselblad probably has the greatest name recognition, if not necessarily visual recognition (See: is that a Hassie thread). Rollei is probably #2 there. Carrying other high-end, pro-grade gear may impress people who know what they are, but most people won't. Some cameras do make a visual impression, though not always in a good way, like a Koni-Omega. Some people just seem to react to the fact that you are carrying something unusual and large.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If you want to impress the people with glass , try to find LOMO Square Front Anamorphic Lens to Kiev 60 and you have a Russian Tank. I read somewhere Stalin ordered the architecture of new Soviet Skyscrapers and there are many same towers spreaded in Moscow including Foreign Affairs Ministery and schools and otels. I watched at Russian Travel Guide , they offer whatever you want to the customers of King Suits. One customer wanted an Ukrainian cake and they ordered it from Ukraine and carried to the Moscow with special lear jet hot.
    One other American yob had had been ordered to travel in a tank in Moscow Streets. This one they could not accomplished. But with 5 kilogram lens and 3 kilogram camera you could experience the mob wants.

jhw

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Cool factor: original Diana
    People flock to you when shooting factor: any TLR
    Ward off mugger factor: Kodak Medalist
    "Oh, I used to have one of those" factor: any folding 6x9
    ...but, it's up to each definition of 'cool'. There's "I have lots of money" cool (Rollei GX); I'm a retro student cool (Diana/Holga); "I want to make sure *everyone* knows I don't shoot digital" cool (Hassy & TLR); "I do something different" cool (6x9 pinhole...preferably homemade out of a beer can or something...), etc.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Rolleiflex 2.8 and Maimya RB67.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Kubach View Post
    Maimya RB67.
    It will only maim ya if ya drop it on yer foot.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The folders are the coolest of em all. They are so well made, have beautiful chrome hardware n pack into a small package that can fit in your shirt pocket.. how cool is that?
    Anyone can make a Digital print, but only a photographer can make a photograph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just what could be cooler than this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	52116.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	28.5 KB 
ID:	51417

Except maybe this?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mamiya c3.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	100.0 KB 
ID:	51418

Shooter
    35mm
    Any Silvestri would certainly raise interest, for instance a Flexicam:

http://www.silvestricamera.it/eng/pr...exicam_eng.htm

Fabrizio
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi ppl. Just wanted to thank you all for your replies, I really appreciate your time.

Also I'm encouraged by the level of enthusiasm in this forum. I've asked this question on other forums today and generally the question has gone down well. However a few have refused to play the game, instead replying 'why should it matter whether it's cool or not', or 'what a shallow question to ask'. I was even accused of behaving like a 12 year old girl for asking the question on one flickr forum. Some photographers take themselves too seriously IMHO, but that doesn't come across at all on APUG. This is my new favourite photography forum.

Once again, thank you for the replies. I've learnt a lot today just by researching your recommendations. Cheers.

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    so many good choises here.

I have the experience that you'll get much more attention with a Rolleiflex than with a Hasselblad... Maybe because it is such an icon?

I think the Rolleiflex SL66 is much cooler than a 'blad...

And I also think my Voigtlander SUPERB is SO cool!!

An ex-girlfriend said when she saw the grey Rolleiflex T, that it was the most sexy camera she's ever seen...
    My girlfriend now thinks the Hasselblad makes her look good, but swears to Rollei...

My favourite (currently) TLR camera is the Super Ricohflex (as it beat ALL the rest in nature photography!), but one can harldy call it cool....

The original Diana is also cool - just go use it for wedding photography, and you're in for a treat!!

I also LOVE my 6x9 RITTRECK and not to forget, the awesome Plaubel MAKINA (where you can get 9x9cm square negs...)--

My TV has ornaments... see attch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails cool-cameras.jpg   cool-camera3.jpg   cool-camera2.jpg  

Page 4 of 31 FirstFirst 1234567891014 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin