Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,844   Online: 1039

Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131418 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    In thinking about it, I think the Polaroid 180 and 195 I have. When I used them more people would comment on them than even my Rollei. Seemed every familt has cool memories of their father having one or them owning one in their younger years. Of course they were referring to the autopack cameras though a few did mention they had the 180 or the 195 but they tended to be less gushing as they tended to be more into the hobby including the equipment.

Next as for the stuff I've owned would be the Exactas that it seemed many returning service personnel from Europe seemed to bring back with them and remembered fondly; then the Rollei, again, memories form returning service persons. Seemed in the '50s and '60s cameras and stero gear were standard fare for returning service persons to buy before mustering out.

Shooter
    35mm
    Bronica s2

It's chrome like the hassy. Also the clattering of the shutter is so loud that even if you don't want to draw attention, you certainly will. Besides all that, it got a nice "3d look" with the nikkor lenses and quite affordable.
    Last edited by markldn; 05-29-2012 at 10:49 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The baby Zeiss Ikontas. Y'know the way babies are so cute because they have such disproportionately large heads, especially eyes? Baby Ikontas kinda remind me of that.
    Last edited by OliMonster; 06-19-2012 at 06:11 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by markldn View Post
    Bronica s2

It's chrome like the hassy.
    IIRC, it's polished stainless steel.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I second the Hasselblad 500CM for its legendary status as a super trooper among photographers of all pursausions. But it does not sit on the pedestal alone. If size and noise matters, a Pentax 67. If stickybeaks aren't running their fingers over mine, they're telling me "what a cool camera! Oh, and it's a film camera... COOL!"
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The "Coolest" camera in terms of appearance I own is a Arca Swiss 6x9 SLR - it has a monorail front with full front movements, and a mirror box with focal plane shutter on the back...looks great, but not the easiest to use...

Coolest camera I use? That changes from week to week - generally the one I pick up to use....
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    When I use a RB Graflex (2 1/4 X 3 1/4), people want to know what I do...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2-Graflex_RB_B_6X9.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lots of medium format cameras are really cool, but I am gonna have to nominate the following as EXTRA COOL, based on both style and substance:

1. Fuji GX680 series. The deformed love child of the Mamiya RZ67 and the Linhof Technika...ON STEROIDS. The Batmobile of medium format cameras. (The ugly, bulbous, Michael Keaton Batmobile, not the bitchin' '60's one.) It terms of looks, it's high-tech, modern, and very late-80's/early-90s. However, it's hideousness is made COOL by the fact that it is such a kick-butt camera system. Not only is it an SLR that shoots 6x8 frames, but it has front movements! The only thing that could make it much better in my book would be if it shot 6x9 (and didn't need that damned battery). Oh well; I'll settle. It's one of the most capable cameras ever made that operates as quickly and seamlessly as it does. It's like having an RZ that is just that much better in the studio. (As if RZs are not good enough already.)

2. Mamiya C series. Interchangeable lens TLRs. As an every day user, there is not much cooler in the world of medium format IMHO. All the coolness of using a TLR, plus the benefits of cool things you normally don't get with a TLR (i.e. a 7-lens system). And the older ones with the silver lenses and gray "M" vinyl covering look SO COOL. I have shot so much with my C33 and C220 because they are absolute joys to use, and I LOOK SO COOL using them!

3. Mamiya Press series. Giant, multi-format rangefinders with interchangeable lenses. If only they were SLRs, they'd be the best cameras ever made. Oh well. They are still pretty darned cool, and have that same awesome Mamiya styling that I mentioned above. I must say that the old Fuji 6x9 RFs are probably better users, but they don't even approach the Press system in terms of cool factor.

Honorable mentions:

RB Graflexes and Arca-Swiss Reflexes
    Linhof 6x9 view cameras
    6x9 press/field cameras like Linhof, Horseman, and Graphics
    Rolleiflex Wide Angle
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 06-21-2012 at 08:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Fun thread. But I can't tell whether "cool" is measured by reactions from others, or our own feelings of "coolness" when using them. Based on the previous responses, it seems like people react to big (as in, "What the heck is that??" -- Mamiya RB or Pentax 67 fit that bill) or retro (TLRs). And if they're shiny, and/or have stuff hanging off them like a finder, all the better.

I did recently see a guy using (actually using!) a gold-trimmed Hasselblad 501C. I thought he was pretty cool for not letting that sit locked away at home, but I don't know whether the average person on the street would have noticed particularly.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Quote Originally Posted by demonboy View Post
    I'm looking to do a fun blog piece on 'cool' cameras but I don't want just new, digital suggestions, I'm open to any type of camera. Since I know next to nothing about medium format cameras I'm interested in polling you experts on what the 'coolest' medium format camera is. It has to be able to perform but this is really about design and desirability. A camera you can pull out in front of friends or other medium format enthusiasts, making them drool! Old, new, digital, analogue, any suggestions?
    Why should I care what anyone else thinks of my camera? I'd much rather have them drool over my photos.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin