Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,058   Posts: 1,561,575   Online: 669

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Like a dagger to my heart. Have all good men forgotten the mighty Triotar?!

J

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Daniel View Post
    ... I thought 'Cords only came with Xenars (and a few hundred Tessars at the end of the run, I believe)

Shooter
    35mm
    If balance (including light/quick/smooth controls) is the primary consideration, then it is worth looking at an Automat with a Tessar or Xenar. I have found that the shutter speed and f/stop wheels on my Automat have a lighter, smoother action than any E or F I have handled. Same for the crank and shutter release actions.

I have never compared the weights on a scale, but the Automat seems more flickable on a subjective basis.

Just two cents worth. But if you must have the Planar/Xenotar, then it is all moot.

J

Quote Originally Posted by msbarnes View Post
    I want a Planar/Xenotar.

2) How is the balance of the 2.8? I shoot a lot of available light so this is one that I'm considering; however many people prefer the balance of the 3.5. Is the balance and weight enough to deter you from these cameras? Or is it mostly the price?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm located in Berkeley California, so if anyone has a set for me to look at, that'd be great.

I actually have two Tessar lensed Rollei's: an MX-EVS and a 3.5T. I prefer the handling of MX-EVS but I tend to shoot with the 3.5T more... probably because it was my first Rollei? Well, I love them both but I want to try a Planar/Xenotar next.

I don't care for a prism or light meter and would prefer to have no meter. The only accessories that I do care about is a lens cap, lens hood, and a Rolleinar I. I browsed ebay/keh.com and the price/availability for Bay II/III accessories seemed comparable and overpriced (as usual). The Bay III Rolleinar 1's; however, (wasn't paying attention to the 2's or 3's) were upwards to $200! But with Rolleinar's I kind of figured that they have larger price fluctuations. Not in a rush for Rolleinar's.

So I guess any E or F will do for me. I guess I'll wait for a good one to show up. A 2.8, preferably, but I'm not sure if I'd pass up a nice 3.5 model.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I used to have a 3.5E, it's nice, but I find the meter coupling fiddly. If I were to buy again, I'd probably save some money and get one without a meter, it's probably not accurate anyway, almost certainly not good enough for slide film. The savings can be spent on a handheld meter, or a Voigtlander clip on meter, very small, and modern.

Near Tavistock, Devon, on the edge of Dartmoor.
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    the E does not have a removable hood, the F does -- all this means is that you can't use a prism finder if you want -- big whoop.
    Whilst many will say that they get used to working with the laterally reversed image, I have never looked back since getting a prism. Some say that the resulting image is rather dark, but that's not my experience.

Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have a 3.5E and love it. I guess that everyone has their preferences in terms of camera ergonomics, and I don't personally find the meter or meter coupling a problem. Mine is accurate when compared to modern handheld meters [and digital gear]. I find the size of the 3.5E about perfect. I've wondered about 2.8s [of whatever variety] but never come across one at a price I can afford and in good condition.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I live in Albany, CA right near you. I have three 2.8's and two 3.5's. If you're patient we can try to arrange a time and I'd be happy to let you see and handle a few. My schedule is really tight next few weeks though. None are for sale but if I nail a Rolleiwide I'm currently negotiating on I might cut loose one of them. Thing is most have Maxwell screens I put in and fairly recent CLAs so the price will be fairly premium.
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Roberts View Post
    Whilst many will say that they get used to working with the laterally reversed image, I have never looked back since getting a prism. Some say that the resulting image is rather dark, but that's not my experience.

Steve

I agree with Steve though most people identify using a TLR with the waist level finder. I was personally never able to use a Rollei much until I got a prism, and now it is my favorite camera. My prism along with a Maxwell screen seems nearly as bright as reality to the bare eye.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by summicron1 View Post
    the E does not have a removable hood, the F does -- all this means is that you can't use a prism finder if you want -- big whoop. the f uses a meter with a battery, the E uses a silenium meter -- likely not real accurate these days, but mine is, so ya never know.
    Is this just for the E? I use an E3 and it has a removable hood and no meter.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by peter_n View Post
    Is this just for the E? I use an E3 and it has a removable hood and no meter.
    As I understand it, there was a transition period when Rollei went from E to F. Not everyone was happy with losing the EV system of coupling fstops with shutter speeds and they concurrently produced the E2, E3 and F for a short while. the E2 and 3 had the new removable hood but where otherwise like the older E. the 2 came with a meter and the 3 came without. There weren't very many E2s or E3s made before they were discontinued.

Dennis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin