Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,677   Posts: 1,481,986   Online: 848

Shooter
    Medium Format

Super Angulon 90 mm shutter question

Which shutter is newer, Synchro compur or Copal?

Or did they make them concurrently?

Thanks,

Koo Young

PS: What's the difference,if any?

PS2: I realized I should have asked in the large format forum.
    Last edited by chung; 05-22-2012 at 11:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    They were made concurrently. The one in the Copal is likely the later lens, though, which cam be confirmed by the lens serial#.

The Compur is the more durable shutter, though there isn't much (if any) difference in performance.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Copal is newer. I've had nothing but trouble with Compur shutters and never an issue with a Copal.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TimmyMac View Post
    Copal is newer. I've had nothing but trouble with Compur shutters and never an issue with a Copal.
    That's information about you, not shutters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not a personal testimony, but when I worked in a photo store in the late 60's, the word was that Compurs were more expensive, more tightly calibrated, but Copals were known as more trouble free. Just sayin.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Compur that holds my 90 SA 5.6 offers both M and X synch. I don't think Copal shutters offered M. Note: this is only important if you still shoot flashbulbs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It really comes down to how the shutter has been used and maintained. I use shutters well over 100 years of age, and I see no real or measurable difference in the reliability or accuracy between an early Compound ca. 1906 and my newest shutter ca. 1983.

The finer the mechanism, the less it will be tolerant of neglect/abuse. A Timex will perform under conditions that would stop a fine watch, but under no conditions will the Timex ever perform as well as a fine watch.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Amen.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin