Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,114   Online: 843

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TomTomJ View Post
    I remamber years ago lusting over Hasselblads and in the past years I had mad the decision on a Mamiya. I would search the web for one but always procrastinate and never buy it. Now that I've finally made the jump to film and I think I'm a bit hooked.
    If years ago you always wanted a Hasselblad why not now? The used prices are fairly reasonable and generally a kit can be found in pretty decent condition. I did this a few years ago. I had and still have a Mamiya 645ProTL kit, but had found a Hasselblad 501C / 80mm CF kit in excellent condition with original boxes on ebay from a reputable seller for less than $1300 (although lately I think prices have been creeping up a bit). I've slowly built onto to this kit adding lens and other accessories. I still use the Mamiya on occasion, but my preference is the Hasselblad, I think because I'm partial to the square negatives and the feel of the camera (and no batteries).

About a year later I snagged a 500C/M / 80mm C kit off Craigslist for $700 that I couldn't pass up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here's a great comparison by (formerly) Seattle wedding/portrait photographer Laurence Kim:

http://laurencekim.com/2011/04/21/co...inal-showdown/

and more:

http://laurencekim.com/2011/03/16/ph...afdiii-review/

http://laurencekim.com/2011/02/06/co...t-impressions/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by F/1.4 View Post
    The Contax has more of that "medium format look" than a Mamiya, but both will do great, bottom line. Lawrence Kim chose a Phase over a Contax when he tested them side-by-side for logical reasons.

I try to keep a tumblr, it's about 90% film. the first 4 pages are all film until you get to the night landscape..than it's film/digital..
    Link to the tumblr?
    Quote Originally Posted by amsp View Post
    No offence, but you're comparing the contax f/2.0 with the Mamiya f/2.8, you should compare it to the f/1.9 if you want to be fair. It's a pretty darn dreamy lens too, although less known.

Attachment 51595
    My buddy has the 1.9 lens and it's definitely dreamy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkF48 View Post
    If years ago you always wanted a Hasselblad why not now? The used prices are fairly reasonable and generally a kit can be found in pretty decent condition. I did this a few years ago. I had and still have a Mamiya 645ProTL kit, but had found a Hasselblad 501C / 80mm CF kit in excellent condition with original boxes on ebay from a reputable seller for less than $1300 (although lately I think prices have been creeping up a bit). I've slowly built onto to this kit adding lens and other accessories. I still use the Mamiya on occasion, but my preference is the Hasselblad, I think because I'm partial to the square negatives and the feel of the camera (and no batteries).

About a year later I snagged a 500C/M / 80mm C kit off Craigslist for $700 that I couldn't pass up.
    To be honest, I think it's because I havent found a kit locally and because I might be leaning more towards an AF MF camera.
    I dont know how much I'd like manual focus... LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by olwick View Post
    Awesome, thanks so much for sharing that! I'll be sure to give them a good read!
    Film Gear:
    Contax 645 w/ Zeiss 80mm F2
    Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm F1.8
    Polaroid 250 Land Camera

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Manual focussing on a 645 is quite easy but naturally you need some skill for moving subjects.

There is a guy on flickr that has a direct Zeiss 80 f/2 & Mamiya 80 1.9 comparison.

I'll go see if I can find it if it is still up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have you considered the Pentax 645n or 645nII? Lenses are excellent, as is metering. The AF is very respectable, with reports of it being superior to either the Mamiya or Contax, particularly in dim light. Exposure info is imprinted outside every frame. Nice ergonomics and handling. Renowned for very low mirror vibration.

There are no backs, just inserts, which might or might not be a problem for you. But you can carry preloaded inserts and switch very quickly.

The normal lens is a 75mm/2.8. No f/2 option, but DoF is still pretty shallow wide open. Lenses have gone way up with the introduction of the 645D, but the 75's are still abundant and fairly reasonable, with the AF ones more than the Mamiya 80, and much less than the Contax 80.

Just another option to consider.
    Last edited by lxdude; 05-26-2012 at 07:45 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TomTomJ View Post
    Link to the tumblr?
    oops!

www.ajmeeker.tumblr.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    I've done a lot of research on mf cameras in the past and time and time again for quality and price Mamiya always came out on top. Contact is nice but it's an older camera and prices are going up. Hasselblad is basically a Mamiya with shiny chrome and a price 10 times more for no reason other than a name. Pentax is good, my 2nd choice.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    I've done a lot of research on mf cameras in the past and time and time again for quality and price Mamiya always came out on top. Contact is nice but it's an older camera and prices are going up. Hasselblad is basically a Mamiya with shiny chrome and a price 10 times more for no reason other than a name. Pentax is good, my 2nd choice.
    Owning both a Mamiya and a Hasselblad I can tell you they are not the same, in no way shape or form. Ignoring the obvious fact that one is 6x6 and the other is 6x4.5, the Hasselblad looks, feels, and handles differently. It's very much a different shooting experience, which is why I love them both.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Agreed, Mamiya's =/= Hassy's. And Pentax's 645's are a DISTANT runner up to a mamiya or a hasselblad. Regardless of the lenses those are just awful cameras.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by F/1.4 View Post
    Agreed, Mamiya's =/= Hassy's. And Pentax's 645's are a DISTANT runner up to a mamiya or a hasselblad. Regardless of the lenses those are just awful cameras.
    Which shows just how personal these things can be. I always disliked the 645, but I thought the N and NII were pretty nice.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin