Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,534   Posts: 1,544,025   Online: 1124

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

120 paper backing

So I know this is a bit of a n00b question, but in preparation for a shoot, i've always taken all my 120 rolls out of the box and into my bag, but never out of the foil wrapping until I load it into my inserts on location. How safe would it be to unwrap them for long periods of time? As in unwrap them all the day before a wedding during prep so I have less trash to deal with during the day? It's like at the end of a wedding my pockets are full of foil wrappings and i'm always looking for a trashcan to dump them.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I don't think I can recall a problem with having done that. But I also like to save the wrapper many times to put the film back into, just as an extra measure to protect my shots.

Shooter
    35mm
    should be alright.

film's tough and they're normally wound real tight.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ideally, the film should say in the foil, but you already understand that. I certainly understand and have experienced the problem.
    That said, it will be fine. You may want to unwrap one or two rolls less than what you would expect to use, so that any leftovers can stay sealed.

If any of it will be going back into refrigeration, I would put the rolls into a zip lock or similar. Also, if you're cooling your stock, you should not unseal them until they're warm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Keep it in the foil because it's 100 percent light-proof and humidity-proof.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can also buy plastic film keepers from Freestyle (and others) that hold 120 rolls nicely. They consist of two tubes with thread together, essentially a double wall. I use them and label them with film type, when I go out shooting. I just grab the film I want, then put it back in after winding. I still keep it in the foil before use, but if I knew I would be in a hurry, I'd feel better than having them bounce around in my bag naked.

Here is one - for $2 they are hard to beat, if you like using them. http://www.freestylephoto.biz/820381...ner?cat_id=804

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Old-N-Feeble View Post
    Keep it in the foil because it's 100 percent light-proof and humidity-proof.
    I doubt that the metallised foil is lightproof.

EDIT: I have just checked. It isn't!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Steve... well that smashes my 30+ year old false-belief. At least the foil is humidity and oxygen proof... and protects "somewhat" from light. I'll not be removing mine from the foil until I'm ready to load it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You can make light proof tubes yourself by cutting the ends off 2 35mm canisters and attaching them together. Measure with an empty spool the correct length and give it a bit more space to move a bit inside and for the cap. Black canisters are best for this. You can attach them with a few wraps of aluminum tape.

Much cheaper than commercial tubes and you get film out quicker without unscrewing.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Or you can buy Adox film which comes with rather nice plastic cannisters.

http://www.freestylephoto.biz/images/prod/126512.jpg

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin