Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,912   Posts: 1,521,645   Online: 1040

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Best 120 box camera?

I have a Kodak Brownie Six-20, and it's a fun little toy, but it can't take 120 film, and I'm tired of re-spooling. I tried loading a 120 roll, and it ripped the last 2 frames and creased the third to last frame, as it somehow got really tight towards the end.

So, I know that there are box cameras out there which take 120, and are built to a higher quality than the Brownie, perhaps even better aperture options or even some kind of rudimentary scale focusing device?

Also, I'm not talking about some kind of hard-to-find prototype. Ideally, something I can pick up for less than $50 ($30 would be even better).

The ripped film gave me some interesting developing artifacts, but honestly, I'm still annoyed by it.
    www.EASmithV.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera."— Dorothea Lange
    http://www.flickr.com/easmithv/
    RIP Kodachrome

Shooter
    Medium Format
    120 box camera; a Rolleiflex comes to mind. But, finding 1 for $30 might be a bit difficult. I have a Spartacus (sp?) 120 box camera I've used from time to time; a tlr bakelite with 4 aperatures and 2-shutter speeds and a plastic lens that is rather soft. But on a tripod using some b&w in the ASA 10-25 range yields some really nice period looking photos and I enjoyed the results sometimes better than when using either the Rollei or Bronica with their sharper more contrasty lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    agfa shurshot ( on ebay now )

mayfair made a beautiful box with a portrait diopter ( on ebay now )

if you make a shim of cardboard you can use a kodak 1A and regular old 120 film instead of 116 film

just go to ebay and type in "box camera" + "116 film" or just "box camera" and you will find them ...
    Last edited by jnanian; 05-26-2012 at 05:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ես այլեւս չի պատասխանելու իմ էլեկտրոնային փոստով
    եթե դուք պետք է ինձ դիմեք ինձ միջոցով իմ կայքը կամ բլոգում

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Inside the Brownie I think there's a little tab that interferes with the larger 120 spool. Get rid of the tab and 120 works fine.

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Two23 View Post
    Inside the Brownie I think there's a little tab that interferes with the larger 120 spool. Get rid of the tab and 120 works fine.

Kent in SD
    After talking with a guy who said you can fit a 120 spool in a Brownie Hawkeye I tried it...you can put it in, but because the pins that it's supposed to ride on are a smaller diameter than for 120 it tends to drag on the camera instead of smoothly rotating. I used a 620 spool for takeup and tried it out...the takeup spool kept popping out of place because I was putting a ton of force on it trying to get the film spool to turn. It did fit, but wasn't going to function. I respooled it on a 620 spool and it worked fine. or as much as I shoot with it, respooling isn't a big deal. I also have an Ansco Sureflash that belonged to my mom when she was a kid. Takes 120 and shoots fine. Pictures look about the same as what comes out of a Brownie. Build quality is somewhere between cardboard and plastic, but it's lasted this long so it must be reasonably tough...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've got a brownie box camera that was made for 120. Interested? I think I paid 40.00 for it in an apug fundraiser a while back.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yeah my hawkeye from hawkeyemods.com used standard 120 but requires a 620 take up spool, which works well for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like the last version of the Zeiss Ikon Box Tengor.

http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Archivo...tengor_sst.jpg

I picked up mine in superb condition on ebay for about $30. Superbly crafted, and much fun to use!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know about "best", but I have a lot of fun with my Agfa Synchro Box, and my JEM JR. I think they were about $10 each.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Instead of respooling, have you tried trimming the flanges with scissors? That usually works for me and I find it easier and quicker than respooling.
    As for a 120 box camera, try the Ansco Shur-Flash. They take 120 natively.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin