Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,836   Online: 1072

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    What, in movie mode!? At one per minute, every minute, 100k frames is 1666 hours or nearly a year of full-time work and I couldn't imagine coming up with a new composition every minute, or even once every 3 minutes with bracketing.

Honest, non-snarky question: what are/were you doing to take so many frames? What are you going to do with them?

PS you should get 12/roll from a 6x6 if that helps with your GAS; they're 20% cheaper to feed than your Pentax 67!
    PPS (looks at dyxum) Happy Birthday!
    Last edited by polyglot; 06-05-2012 at 02:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I suspected my comment would get some sort of reaction and understandably so. I'm not intentionally a fan of machine gun style photography. And in fact what I really enjoy about film is the slow, deliberate and intentional aspect of it. But when it comes to the digital camera I shoot a lot of sports. My kids are all three season athletes. Volleyball and basketball games, tennis matches and track meets are usually good for at least 500-600 frames per event. With four or five games a week it adds up. Of course the keeper rate is very low but fast fps is definitely a big bonus. I've also shot airshows and the first time I did that I shot 4000 frames in one day. Later I eased off on the shutter release a bit but still took a couple thousand.

And I shoot birds. If you've ever tried capturing hovering and diving king fishers in action you probably know what I mean. When they are stationary it doesn't require a fast burst rate but when you are trying to capture that instant where the bird emerges from the water in a splash with a fish in it's mouth you can burn through a lot of memory very quickly.

I may have exaggerated on the 100k number but I know for a fact that it has turned over (10k) at least 6 or 7 times since I bought it and probably more so I wouldn't be surprised if I'm close to that number.
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I figured it'd be a high-failure-rate kind of scenario. About 1/3 of the total actuations on my A700 are from a handful of outings with Frankman and AA when I was in Perth.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ah! Frank's bird work is really outstanding. I'm sure the better one gets at it fewer wasted frames one gets, but still, for that kind of work digital is a wonderful gift.
    Pentax 67ii, Fuji GF670, Mamiya 6, Pentax 645N
    Chemical Cameras
    My Galleries

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Perhaps... but he was still shooting 1k+ frames in a morning of about 2-3 hours. Keeper rate not relevant if the best ones are good enough

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Buy yourself a Sony Z Video Camera with zeiss glass , your children will hug you at the future. You had been transfered to movie making and give a rest to your finger.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by revdocjim View Post
    Wow! With friends like this who needs Satan!!!
    Seriously though... this is just too far out of my range.
    I have one kid in college, another entering college in a couple months, and a third who is 16 and eats like a horse and grows about a cm per month.

And our bank account is already empty!!!

Last fall I bought the new Sony A77 which is my primary digital camera it it gets used the most of anything.
    Then this spring I sold off a closet full of old equipment to finance the purchase of my long lusted after Minolta 135mm STF.

The only way I'm able to keep up my interest in film cameras is by occasionally finding really cheap bodies or lenses, usually under $100 each!

So as you can see, neither the Mamiya 6 nor the Fuji GF670 is likely to happen for a long time unless I meet an unreasonably friendly philanthropists somewhere.
    But I always enjoy dreaming and wishing!
    So far all that you stated are excuses. How about posting reasons?
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin