Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,224   Posts: 1,659,643   Online: 929

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    My triplet boys were 12 when we went thru that area (including the Caverns) w/o their mom. Load up the 10 year old with a small well-padded day pack (ask him if he thinks he is old enough for the responsibility -- the best way to get enthused cooperation!) with the extra lens and film, perhaps the pod.

Have a great trip!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks so much everyone. I will take as much film as I can! I have here: pro packs (5) 2 Ektar 120, 1 portra 400, and 1 Velvia 50; 2 220 rolls of VC, a BRICK of TMX100, a BRICK of TRIX400, several rolls of Ilford - Delta 100, FP4, and Delta 400. In all, I have 70 rolls of MF film. I think I will take about half of it... or more? I plan to keep in it the cooler with the drinks and snacks so it stays cool - and in the fridge at where we are staying when not traveling. Of course, the weather there is not like here, so I shouldn't be so worried about keeping it cool!

Special thanks to Ray (2bits) for the PM - I have now added Treasure Falls to my list of stops!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Katie, why not also take just one type of film. The variety of film you are suggesting would be a nightmare to me.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What about this?

Color Negative:
    10 rolls Ektar (ISO 100)
    5 rolls Portra 400
    2 rolls Portra 160 VC (in 220)

B&W:
    8 Rolls Delta 100
    3 Rolls HP5 (ISO 400)
    6 Rolls Trix (ISO 400) cause I don't have enough HP5 and I got it free

My reasoning is I want to have 100 AND 400 ISO covered. This is enough for 1 roll of color and 1 roll of B&W a day (there will be 2 days of just driving and 4 days in the same place ... so I think there will be days I shoot nothing).

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    "Jack of all films, master of none".

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    From my experience traveling with cameras, I find that I have a limited amount of energy. I have to schlep our gear inorder to use it. However, the lighter the fewer the gear, the more energy to see and photograph. Over the years, I've learned how to travel with less gear and lightening my load. Unless you have an assistant, less can be more. I remember my young and stupid days of having 5 primes lenses, a motor drive and 2 camera bodies. 30 years later, I'm older, wiser and have a bad back.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, that's what I got, so that's what I'm taking. I'm very familiar with both portra 400 and ektar. I've also been shooting with HP5 and and the other deltas a bit. TriX Is my my least shot, but what with how much I have, I thought it stupid to buy more hp5 until I've at least given it a go.

Is this enough you think??

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I had a 3 week trip through a few countries in Europe a couple years back and took a Bessa R4A, 35mm and 50mm lens and a Bronica RF645 with 45 and 65mm lens. 80% of my images were taken with the RF645 and 65mm lens. 10% with the 45mm lens and the rest with the R4A and 35mm lens. So, you are fine to take just the Mamiya, now to film.

Even though at 645, I was getting 16 frames a roll, I used just over half of the flm I brought. I shot deliberately and shot much less. Based on your available film stock, I would take the 10 rolls of Ektar and 8 rolls of FP4. Yes, it is only 18 rolls, but based on travel and your other responsibilities, I don't see taking more than a roll a day and that is 180 amazing images. And keeping the camera settings changes to the minimum, one ISO makes sense (well at least to me who forgets to change iso more often than i care to admit). But if you can't live without ISO 400, take the 5 rolls of portra.

Enjoy the experience, sounds like a great trip!
    -----------------------

Segedi.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    "Jack of all films, master of none".
    yep ...

have fun katie !

john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Katie, if you haven't been to Durango before, can I recommend that you dine once at Steamworks Brewery. I fancy myself a beer snob and their brews are delicious but they also have good food, including a family-size Cajun Boil every evening. Magnifique ... and no silverware required ... which makes it kind of fun for the kiddos. Also, would make for good photo fodder ... everybody digging into a big heap of corn and shrimp and potatoes.

Hope you can share some of the photos when you get back. Mesa Verde is spectacular. Sounds like a great trip!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin