Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,924   Posts: 1,556,695   Online: 1175

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No backup camera? I know you want light but have one little failure and you are out of commission.... It's not like you can pop into a store and pickup a medium format camera....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I might lean toward two cameras, one loaded with color and one with B&W (unless the Mamiya has interchangeable magazines), but with the other considerations you have that might be a bit much. On long trips I like to have a second camera with me if for no other reason than redundancy. That way if the first one acts up I don't come home empty handed or have to do a panic camera shopping episode. It's been a long time - like 1965 - but I was in Durango and did the train ride to Silverton; there is spectacular scenery everywhere you look. Primary weapon on that trip was a genuine Konica FP with 52mm 1.4 and a 35mm 2.8.

Whatever you do, enjoy it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What matters most to me is whether I can actually remove myself from all distractions, and photograph thoughtfully. If you can do that then the Mamiya is the best choice. If you can only do it some of the time, take both. If it just ain't gonna happen, take the Bessa. Good luck!
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Yes, I can also highly recommend Steamworks Brewery. Prescribed burn is an excellent beer (with green chilis). Hit up La Choza and Tune Up Cafe while here in SFe. Maybe check out the Valles Caldera and Bandelier one day if you're interested in wildlife, forest, and archaeology.

Have fun!!!
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the recommendations! Will add them to my list as I hadn't been there in sibling I had no idea where to go...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Sage advice. When I travel I force myself to bring one camera only, so that I don't spend time wondering which camera to use. Frees one up to just look at things instead.

Katie, have a fun trip! I hope you get lots of wonderful moments and memories.

yeh, what he said!!!!!!!!!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Klainmeister View Post
    ...sometimes 35mm doesn't quite capture the magnitude of some of those places ...
    I try not to be overly sentimental... but my sentiments exactly. I once brought 35mm and 4x5 to Disneyland and never pulled out the 4x5. No way. Next time I went I only brought 4x5 and have 24 negatives of me and my kids having fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    "Jack of all films, master of none".
    There's more than one way to skin a cat.

Choosing different films is just as viable a strategy as manipulating one.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you get the panoramic adapter for your Mamiya 7, you can use it to shoot some of the 35mm film you'd otherwise have in the Bessa.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Burk View Post
    I try not to be overly sentimental... but my sentiments exactly. I once brought 35mm and 4x5 to Disneyland and never pulled out the 4x5. No way. Next time I went I only brought 4x5 and have 24 negatives of me and my kids having fun.
    What was wrong with the 35mm pictures?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin