Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,908   Posts: 1,556,124   Online: 1257

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Is this realistic or am I just being lazy?

I have been shooting LOTS of 35mm film lately (and have a rather large supply of it as well), but have the incredible Mamiya 7 system with 43mm and 65mm lenses that I don't use enough. I think I am one of those people that likes to "save" the good stuff for "special occasions". Well, I am headed on a trip - DRIVING, with my two boys (4 yrs and 10 yrs) through two states stopping at Carlsbad Caverns, Santa Fe, Angelfire, Durango, Silverton, Pagosa Springs and Mesa Verde. Some pretty amazing photo "ops" in my opinion...

Since I'm driving, space is at a premium, and since I'm still handholding the 4 year old, carrying "stuff" is also at a premium. I will be at hotels the whole time, but there will undoubtedly be times when I'll be leaving some gear in the car (well, Suburban). I have stocked up on 120/220 film, and plan to make full use of my Mamiya system. Should I even bother with the Bessa R4A and 28/21 lenses? It's really small and light weight, but it will still "be there" in my mind (I will not leave it in the car unattended, so I would be carrying it with the MF gear) and of course, the $1500 value of the system being there is an added stress.

Is it realistic to only take the Mamiya 7 with me for the whole 2+ week trip as my only camera? With 10 frames per roll (or 20 on the few rolls of 220 I have) will that be limiting to me? I don't intend to take a bunch of crap pics, so I am happy using MF, but just want to make sure that there are those of you that would be comfortable traveling with one system for a trip. (my boys each have a digi camera that they are bringing, too).

I'm really leaning toward the one system (with extra batteries of course) with loads of film and a tripod/L bracket (and all necessary filters).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    First off, put a leash on the four-year-old.

Considering the focal lengths you have with the Mamiya, I say leave the Bessa at home.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I deal with this dilemma each time I go out of town, which is about 8-10 days a month. It's always about reconciling the quality of the photos with the risk and convenience. Simplest solution is one 35mm camera. Next simplest is one camera. And as someone who's very familiar with Mesa Verde / Durango and Angel Fire, and familiar with the opportunities you will have, I'd encourage you to take the Mamiya and plenty of film.

Either way, have fun!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Decide on one system you need for this trip an stick with it. If it happens to be medium format, perhaps be more decerning before you press the button (although this should apply to any format). Also remember the gear is only worth the pictures you take with it, so stop being pecious about it, but use common sense about where and when you leave it.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm gonna do it with just the Mamiya. Got the Domke loaded down, and with the tripod, I don't think I'll be able to handle any more than what's in there.

In addition to my leash-less wild 4 year old, I'll be toting my 67 year old Mother with a bum knee. No husband this time. I'll be leaning on the 10 year old boy for doing lots of manly things for me. Hope he can change a tire...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wise advice, Clive. Thanks. Maybe I'll get over the preciousness of it this trip and shoot it more from now on...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use that system here, almost exclusively and can highly recommend it for the places you plan on going to. The only problem I find is that sometimes 35mm doesn't quite capture the magnitude of some of those places you name, hence the Mamiya fits the bill quite nicely.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My only suggestion is to doubletheamount of film taken!!! I am envious of that road trip, even with two kids(did it with 4 kids when mine were little).Enjoy the time, show off the results later.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm envious of your trip, Katie! It's so easy to take way too much gear, but just tell yourself that you're sticking with only the Mamiya so that you can really get familiar with it and put it through its paces. Very often, art loves a bit of constraint.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    Decide on one system you need for this trip an stick with it. If it happens to be medium format, perhaps be more decerning before you press the button (although this should apply to any format). Also remember the gear is only worth the pictures you take with it, so stop being pecious about it, but use common sense about where and when you leave it.
    Sage advice. When I travel I force myself to bring one camera only, so that I don't spend time wondering which camera to use. Frees one up to just look at things instead.

Katie, have a fun trip! I hope you get lots of wonderful moments and memories.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin